Director Product Development Senior Living / Health Care
- Career Level
Our client, an "A" rated carrier is seeking to hire a Product Development/Underwriting Director to expand their existing book into the broader continuum of the skilled/health-care and non-skilled care market. This Director will be responsible for operational management, with responsibility for the achievement of profit and production objectives.
Under the general oversight of the VP Corporate Research & Chief Strategy Officer:
- Collaborate with corporate underwriting to establish underwriting guidelines and eligibility rules that promote long term profitability of the assigned business segment.
- Working with channel management, develop and execute sales plans that achieve production objectives.
- In conjunction with corporate risk control, develop segment-specific risk management resources and loss control criteria.
- Develop and maintain relationships with national distribution partners.
- Collect competitor information and conduct ongoing gap analysis.
- Research and identify the coverage needs of the segment, and work with corporate product management to maintain competitive products.
- Identify influential segment trade associations and be visible in their activities.
- Develop and manage the unit budget as assigned.
- Direct the unit efforts toward achieving production and profitability goals.
- Manage assigned unit personnel.
- Develop criteria for the selection of high quality distribution partners.
- Monitor the competition and trends within the assigned market.
- Ensure that the company is providing market-relevant products and services in alignment with the stated value proposition.
- Eight years or more in commercial insurance, preferably in underwriting and marketing management roles.
- Four years experience working with independent distribution sources.
- A strong working knowledge of skilled, health-care and non-skilled market.
- B.A. or B.S. degree preferred.
- CPCU or additional industry coursework desirable.
Necessary Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to think logically combined with strong communication skills.
- Ability to develop and manage others.
- Strong working knowledge of commercial lines rates, rules, and forms.
- Proficient in exposure analysis and applying effective underwriting techniques.
- Understanding of insurance business processes and systems.
- Strong analytical abilities.
- Ability to work in cooperation with various company departments.
- Understanding of companies mission, philosophy, goals, and objectives.
- Understanding of distribution partners’ requirements and expectations.
- Develop and maintain a working relationship with company sales, marketing, claims, underwriting, pricing and product functions, as well as with independent distributors and specialty market trade groups.
- Travel as necessary.