Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$71,600.00 - $118,100.00
What Is the Opportunity?
EIUP is a customized training program with structured lessons and activities for the first 6 months followed by an on-the-job learning period. This program builds upon prior insurance industry experience to develop knowledge and skills related to Travelers underwriting philosophy, coverage, risk selection/management, underwriting discipline and application, business unit products and strategies, negotiation, and relationship building. Day to day work and depth of training will be tailored based on prior work experience.
What Will You Do?
- Takes initiative for personal development and seeks to learn through underwriting, marketing, and other related opportunities.
- Learns skills needed to underwrite, assess risk and make recommendations for accounts in a market segment.
- Seeks out opportunities to observe account analysis discussions with other underwriters and underwriting leaders.
- Establishes effective relationships with customers, agents and brokers.
- Develops consultative sales and marketing skills through interaction with agents/brokers and via coaching.
- Develops negotiation skills through interaction with agents/brokers and via coaching.
- As skills develop, may manage a desk and assume a territory.
- Seeks enterprise-wide solutions to business problems.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities; analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues; identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Follows a disciplined underwriting approach, and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results. Effectively collaborates with others on all aspects of job.
- Handles renewal and new business and as skills advance, receives appropriate level of underwriting authority.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's degree.
- 5 or more years of relevant property and casualty work experience in Claim, Risk Control, Risk Management, Operations, Finance, Sales, Product, or other non-underwriting P&C insurance field.
- Prior experience developing relationships with external customers.
- Claim Specific Experience:
- Claim coverage experience and experience independently negotiating and conveying claim settlements.
- Experience analyzing policy and endorsement language to determine extent of policy holder coverage across lines of business .
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Uses previous knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions.
- Thinks analytically about business problems, makes recommendations and proposes solutions.
- Ability, desire, and intellectual curiosity to learn the technical aspects of underwriting and the business.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain relationships between customers, Travelers, and agents/brokers.
- Financial and Business Acumen.
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
- CPCU, CIC, ARM, CPRM, AAI, OSHA and MSHA certifications or other insurance related certifications.
- Successful completion of training programs involving evaluating any insurance lines; ex: Commercial Auto policies and Bodily Injury claims analysis.
What is a Must Have?
- Four years of relevant property and casualty work experience in Claim, Risk Control, Risk Management, Operations, Finance, Sales, Product, or other non-underwriting P&C insurance field.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.