The typical starting salary range for this role is determined by a number of factors including skills, experience, education, certifications and location. The full salary range for this role reflects the competitive labor market value for all employees in these positions across the national market and provides an opportunity to progress as employees grow and develop within the role. Some roles at Liberty Mutual have a corresponding compensation plan which may include commission and/or bonus earnings at rates that vary based on multiple factors set forth in the compensation plan for the role.Description
Responsible for overseeing the underwriting operations of a portfolio of business for our Middle Market group in the Boston region. Builds expertise by selecting, developing and managing a unit of technically competent underwriters with multi-line expertise, confidence of judgment and deal orientation. Identifies and pursues opportunities for profitable growth in order to achieve a balanced, profitable and quality book while protecting Company assets. Develops and maintains effective business relationships with brokers, customers, distribution and service partners. Applies an advanced level of expertise and judgment to analyze data prepared by underwriters and provides approval for risk selection and acceptance, coverage, and price for multi-line business.
- Leadership: Responsible for the acquisition, retention and development of underwriting talent. Formally manages, guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters in both technical and professional skills. Fosters an environment conducive to continuous improvement.
- Risk Selection: Responsible for developing and implementing a strategy to better evaluate risk quality and further Underwriters' skill-setin qualifying, selecting and assessing risk.
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Establishes and maintains high level of relationship management with key Brokers. Develops underwriters negotiation, communication and general deal making skills.
- Portfolio Management: Evaluates portfolio performance based on profitability metrics, multi-linediversification, reinsurance, production metrics and industry trends. Defines strategy and oversees execution of continuously improving portfolio in alignment with division or segment objectives.
- Quality Audit and Account Review: Ensure files meet regulatory requirements and internal documentation standards. Coaches underwriters to articulate thought process, decision making within both account reviews and file documentation.
Demonstrated skills and experience should include:
- Property and Casualty Underwriting experience in the Greater Boston area
- Expert level understanding of commercial insurance casualty products; insurance operations; finance and actuarial concepts; regulatory environment; reinsurance; account management; underwriting; and producer management
- 7+ years of relevant experience, including CPCU designation (or equivalent), and experience managing or mentoring underwriting staff
- Analyzing and problem solving
- Communicating and negotiating effectively and achieving results
- Advanced degree or equivalent training required
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a "Great Place to Work" by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the "100 Best Places to Work in IT" on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Fair Chance Notices