Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$157,700.00 - $260,200.00
What Is the Opportunity?
The AVP, Actuarial and Analytics leads the Bond & Specialty Insurance Centralized Pricing team responsible for developing data, tools, templates, and metrics to improve efficiency and create deeper actuarial insights
What Will You Do?
Pricing Lead for:
- Data - partner with Business Insights team on the development of data used by Product actuaries for rate reviews and profitability analysis
- Tools - build and maintain tools used by Product actuaries and Business Performance Analytics team. Examples include tools for underwriting eligibility, disruption analysis, and business facing profitability metrics
- Templates - partner with Business Insights and Technology teams on creating data and templates used for loss trend and rate adequacy analysis
- Metrics - new business pricing, rate and exposure change, rate stabilization, and profitability
- Restatement - lead design and implementation of the premium restatement process used for on-leveling and benchmarking
- Other Key Areas - lead system testing for RPC and Rate Stabilization, expertise in actuarial data, technical lead for process enhancements with Python and Github, liaison to International actuarial teams
- Assess, prioritize, influence and communicate strategic initiative options to senior leaders.
- Foster an environment for effective execution and completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects.
- Be a leader of change and innovation.
- This position will lead assigned unit strategic initiatives and cross-unit initiatives and is expected to participate in Enterprise initiatives.
- Perform and lead actuarial and analytic analyses to solve business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Drive day to day execution within unit. Drive broad department initiatives.
- Promote efficiency and identify appropriate resource needs across primary working group, balancing additional effort against incremental lift gained from work.
- Make decisions independently in accordance with Segment practices.
- Consistently provide direction and review others' analytical work.
- Translate ambiguous business needs into analytical solutions.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates on a regular basis with staff, peers, business partners, and often with senior leaders.
- Proficient at tailoring communication of analysis, project results, and other business initiatives to audience.
- Proficient at communicating technical topics to non-technical audiences.
- Leads group discussions with multiple disciplines or responsibility levels.
- Proficient at creating formal written communication such as memos or presentations.
- Influences and collaborates with peers and partners to take actions to enhance business outcomes.
- Staff responsibilities are likely to include direct management of a team of managers and individual contributors.
- Acquisition, retention, and development of talent for assigned unit.
- Execute, communicate, and influence standards for talent development processes, including performance and personal development goals.
- Succession planning and talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management including workforce planning.
- Support staff engagement in cross Enterprise initiatives.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Identify training and skill development needs across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- Support recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts across the Enterprise.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Understanding of the business and how the Centralized team's work connects to business outcomes
- Ability to partner effectively with wide variety of functions including Business Insights, Predictive Analytics, Regulatory, Technology, Business Performance Analytics, Finance, and Product Management.
- Pricing Experience and Expertise
- Technical Skills - Python, Github, Cloud experience or strong willingness to learn
- Leadership experience and ability to drive forward the vision for a technically focused team of 8
- Balances immediate deliverables with making progress on strategic goals
- Willingness to dive deep on technical topics as required
- Regularly challenges conventional thinking.
- Takes ownership of projects/portfolios of projects and meetings and makes independent recommendations to influence business outcomes.
- Proficient in Leading Self including exhibiting decisiveness and self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Proficient in Leading Others including modeling the way for others and forging synergy.
- Development of Leading the Business including actively engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting an Enterprise culture.
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of key business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products, reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim, and financials.
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in developing and implementing analytic solutions.
- Has perspective on the industry and developing trends, including: technology, analytic methodology, products, and performance of competitors.
- Is familiar with most other key business drivers and disciplines.
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships across the Enterprise.
- Create cross-functional teams to generate and solicit ideas, and drive consensus
- Aware of potential conflict across the organization and address proactively.
- Acknowledge accomplishments of others to broader organization.
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for portfolio of projects.
- Seek out diverse perspectives to effectively accomplish business goals.
Able to introduce innovative techniques to both new and existing problems.
- Leads and actively engages in technical/peer reviews.
- Regularly offers technical consultative feedback.
- Can assess various technical solutions to optimize analytical outcomes.
- Consistently recognizes and solves for emerging issues that require a quantitative solution within functional area.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 7+ years of comprehensive quantitative analysis experience required.
- Project or people management experience required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.