Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$166,400.00 - $274,600.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Travelers' Experience Design (XD) team creates solutions to ensure best-in-class experiences for our customers, agents, employees, and partners. As the Assistant Vice President of Experience Design, you will lead the definition of strategies, processes, and structures for effective discovery and delivery of solutions that result in valuable and delightful experiences for our customers, agents, and employees. You are responsible for planning, managing, and directing the activities of a team or teams responsible for creating and enhancing the experience of users and capabilities within the XD practice. You will also guide and shape experience vision and strategy definition across workstreams, departments, and business units, ensuring alignment to company-wide objectives and values. You will collaborate with leaders of functions such as journey and product management, engineering, data and analytics, business stakeholders, and others to advance the strategic objectives of the organization. You will exercise key leadership abilities to advance the XD discipline across Travelers by ensuring the use of human-centered design practices, defining and monitoring standards and processes, and building strong partnerships with other leaders. As a senior XD leader, you will lead and manage other senior staff members, providing coaching and guidance to guarantee the healthy and effective operation of their teams and areas. You will ensure that the XD function has effective approaches to recruiting, hiring, developing, and evaluating personnel.
What Will You Do?
- Leverage domain-specific expertise and leadership to contribute to functional business plans with bottom-line impact for the company, and serve as a trusted advisor and expert across business areas.
- Guide effective communication of design strategies and objectives, ensuring the coordination of work across teams and organizations, and enabling continuous collection, analysis, and application of feedback.
- Establish and manage achievement of XD function strategic objectives for your organization, including policies, practices, staffing, and budgets.
- Set strategic priorities and guide others in collaborative definition and refinement of models, concepts, and design elements (e.g., experience goals, journey maps, information architecture, scenarios, personas, interactions, content, etc.) leveraging and shaping design objectives, principles, and standards.
- Support and promote a culture of research and testing that engages various stakeholders in observing and understanding the experiences of users and invests in effective measurement of human-centered outcomes.
- Partner across functions to foster a collaborative environment and champion a human-centered approach that leverages research-based insights, experimentation, and data-informed decision making, enabling key stakeholders to participate in the creation of design strategy and objectives.
- Set strategic objectives and approaches and guide the definition and adoption of new and improved tools, methods, and processes.
- Coach and mentor senior XD staff and leaders to ensure their advancement, shape goals and strategies for practice development, grow leadership influence, and lead efforts to recruit and hire top candidates across the organization.
- Set performance goals, provide ongoing feedback, and conduct standard performance reviews for those you manage.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Experience in a related field, such as HCI, VCD, Service Design, Anthropology, etc.
- Fifteen years of related experience.
- Five years of leadership experience (formal management or other).
- Advanced knowledge of most areas, expert level knowledge and application of four or more, and the ability to teach others at an advanced level:
- Design research
- Information architecture
- Interaction design
- Visual design
- Content design (strategy, writing, editing for interaction)
- Information design
- Service design
- Presentation and communication
- Collaboration and facilitation
- Design strategy
- Usability testing
- Data analysis
- Design systems
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- Twelve years of related experience.
- Five years managing others.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.