Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$141,800.00 - $233,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Our growing, dynamic in-house law firm focused exclusively on insurance coverage litigation is expanding its practice into Texas. The Senior Counsels in our Texas Practice will represent Travelers in state and federal court in the litigation and resolution of Commercial and Personal lines insurance coverage disputes, with a heavy emphasis on first-party property coverage litigation. The Senior Counsels will serve as lead counsel on moderately complex to complex coverage matters, requiring a solid degree of knowledge and expertise, from inception through all phases of litigation.
What Will You Do?
- Appears on behalf of the Company in both federal and state courts to argue motions and handle trials, status conferences, and other substantive and procedural matters in the litigation of insurance coverage disputes.
- Determines appropriate legal strategies and positions, as well as action on litigation; provide advice on possible outcomes, awards and settlements.
- Drafts motions, briefs, pleadings, written discovery, other legal documents, correspondence, and memoranda to identify and protect legal interests of the company.
- Proposes, prepares and responds to and evaluates oral and written discovery.
- Prepares and/or reviews annual legal fees budget for assigned cases.
- Has frequent, independent contact with clients, witnesses, experts and adversaries through counsel.
- Provides recommendations and case analysis to all business partners on appropriate file handling strategy.
- Completes all required administrative tasks including time reporting, closed cases reports, and other materials appropriate to performance of job duties.
- Adheres to all standards of excellence in file management.
- Provides high quality, cost effective legal advice and recommendations for action to business clients regarding moderately complex to complex matters which have or may have a dollar impact on business activities and operations.
- Researches legal principles and precedents within area of specialization or expertise.
- Identifies unique issues in assigned matters and recommends appropriate responses to those issues.
- Proactively identifies and communicates risk to internal and/or external customers and provides recommendations on how to mitigate that risk.
- Advises senior business clients on financially significant and complex matters.
- Maintains awareness of judicial climate and legal developments through the review of legal publications, on-line documentation and attendance at seminars and conferences.
- Builds and maintains strong client relationships.
- May act as mentor and coach to less senior attorneys, paralegal/staff; explains issues, ideas and concepts that are incorporated into work assignments.
- Makes effective use of technology and automation in the practice of law.
- Ensures timely submission of work product as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Six to ten years of prior experience in the litigation of complex insurance coverage disputes in Texas federal and state courts.
- Expertise and experience in litigation of first party property coverage issues and disputes, including the pre-suit notice process under Chapter 542A of the Texas Insurance Code.
- Understanding and awareness of principles of Auto, General Liability and/or Property insurance coverage.
- All Enterprise Individual Contributor Competencies (Enterprise Leadership Competencies if position has direct reports) plus:
- Advocacy: Demonstrates strong lawyering skills, including effective oral and written advocacy. Accurately assesses the degree of legal risk and opportunity in a given situation. While understanding business goals, exercises independent judgment in providing advice and strategic recommendations. Persuasively advocates position.
- Knowledge of Law: Demonstrates expertise in legal specialty areas. Identifies issues; appreciates interaction between facts and the law; grasps legal complexities. Effectively and accurately researches legal issues.
- Negotiation: Understands potential exposure, settlement value, corporate risk and opportunity; understands needs and goals of participants; marshals facts and law; uses creativity in developing effective strategy and persuasively presenting the position; and demonstrates flexibility to achieve an appropriate resolution.
- Trusted Advisor (Legal-specific): Demonstrates excellence in the provision of legal counsel and advice. Earns trust, confidence, and respect through consistent performance; fosters open and honest communication; shares with department significant court decisions and/or litigation trends; candidly offers ideas, thoughtful feedback and a reasoned point of view. When appropriate, challenges assumptions. Acts with integrity; takes appropriate risks.
- Ability to present information and advice in a clear, concise, logical and well-organized manner to enable clients to make informed, well-reasoned business decisions.
- Technology: Uses, leverages, and maintains proficiency with corporate and job-related technology as it evolves (e.g. hardware, software, business unit applications, and systems tools.)
- Appreciation of Business Context: Knows and understands the business supported and acts on legal issues in the context of business objectives and initiatives. Looks for new and innovative ways to achieve business legal objectives.
- Continuous Learning: Gains, absorbs and applies new information to identify and address own learning and development needs to keep skills current.
- Credibility: Demonstrates behavior that causes individual to be perceived as responsible, reliable and trustworthy, including a strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- Influences Others: Influences others without using formal authority. Is open to being influenced to explore new possibilities. Adjusts own style according to the demands of the situation.
- Resource Utilization & Management: Identifies and utilizes corporate and outside personnel and sources of information to achieve goals. Uses, takes advantage of, and maintains proficiency with corporate and job-related resources, including technology.
- Admitted to the Bar in good standing in Texas; additional admission to the Bar in good standing in Louisiana or willingness to gain admission to the Bar there is preferred.
What is a Must Have?
- Juris Doctorate; graduate of an accredited law school, with a minimum of six years' experience as a practicing attorney.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.