This is your opportunity to join AXIS Capital – a trusted global provider of specialty lines insurance and reinsurance. We stand apart for our outstanding client service, intelligent risk taking and superior risk adjusted returns for our shareholders. We also proudly maintain an entrepreneurial, disciplined and ethical corporate culture. As a member of AXIS, you join a team that is among the best in the industry.
At AXIS, we believe that we are only as strong as our people. We strive to create an inclusive and welcoming culture where employees of all backgrounds and from all walks of life feel comfortable and empowered to be themselves. This means that we bring our whole selves to work.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, civil union status, family or parental status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodation is available upon request for candidates taking part in the selection process.
Senior Claim Director - Specialty Complex Claims
New York Metro, Chicago, and Alpharetta
AXIS is currently looking for a Senior Complex Claim Specialist to join our team in North America. This role will report to the Head of Specialty Complex Claims and will involve overseeing and resolving a range of complex claims that involve coverage disputes and legal action.
These claims cover a variety of Specialty Commercial products, such as Casualty, Commercial Property, and Professional Lines (including Management Liability, EPL, Cyber, and Environmental claims).
Preferred candidates will be able to commute to an AXIS office, we are a hybrid work environment 3 days week.
This role will be responsible for:
- Direct management of claims involving complex coverage issues as defined by the Head of North America Claims, including the investigation, analysis and evaluation of coverage liability and damages, within best practices
- Direct management of coverage disputes, including litigation and arbitration matters initiated by Axis issuing companies and when Axis issuing companies are parties to such litigation
- Formulating claims and litigation strategies, assigning, directing, and managing outside counsel in coverage litigation or arbitration
- Managing coverage counsel and litigation costs as well as collaborating and working with the Litigation Management and Vendor Management teams ensuring cost management and the development and enhancement of the coverage counsel panel
- Managing discovery issues and responses, including opportunities to ensure consistency as well as identifying relevant and responsive information and ensuring proper and adequate preparation of company witnesses for deposition and trial testimony
- Providing guidance to the North America Claims teams regarding coverage issues, coverage disputes and claim handling issues, time limited demands, emerging issues, including strategic direction as well as recommending and approving outside coverage counsel assignments
- Reviewing Coverage positions for matters pending in Washington State, Missouri, Illinois, Montana, Texas and other states that may be added via the Specialty Complex Claims Referral Guidelines
- Collaborating across disciplines and business units, including: the general counsel team overseeing errors and omissions issues arising from claims handling
- Managing selection of and requests to hire coverage counsel related to any claims pending in North America
- Identifying liability and coverage trends and issues with both individual and portfolio impact and formulating the processes and strategies for handling such claims as well as the related coverage issues, ensuring accurate and consistent claims management across impacted underwriting segments and lines of business.
- Supporting underwriting inquiries and information requests regarding policy construction and drafting, reporting claim trends, data analysis, and risk assessments
- Actively coaching and mentoring the North American claim teams on coverage issues and guidance
- Build and maintain key relationships with internal stakeholders (e.g., peers, Underwriting, Actuarial, various executive management leaders) and external stakeholders (e.g., brokers, insureds, attorneys, auditors, reinsurers, and vendors)
- Extensive communication with senior executives, brokers, reinsurers, actuaries, insureds, and auditors (both external and internal)
KEY SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Law Degree and admission in good standing to one of the fifty state bars
- 5+ years of claims management experience handling a wide variety of coverage issues and coverage litigation involving the various claims disciplines
- Experience practicing law as well as claims management (both directly managed and TPA-managed claims)
- Demonstrated ability to influence and collaborate at all organizational levels, both internally and externally, as well as the ability to identify and resolve complex, disputed claims
- Analytical thinker who can drive results using all facets of the legal and claims processes
- Understanding of and ability to balance both the immediate claim issues as well as the broader portfolio impact and customer service impact of coverage disputes and issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to deal effectively with people with conflicting expectations, differing opinions, and multiple viewpoints
- Demonstrated ability and experience handling coverage issues involving a wide variety of loss scenarios as well as reporting and presenting about same to senior management
- In-depth knowledge of claims, litigation, arbitration, and trial processes, as well as excellent analytical, investigative, and negotiating skills
- AXIS requires Adjuster Licenses in all states
- Travel is associated with this role (e.g., team management, court proceedings, mediations, and settlement)
For this position, we currently expect to offer a base salary in the range of $120K - $160K NJ, $115K - $155K GA, $125K - $165K NY. The specific salary offer will be based on an assessment of a variety of factors including the experience of the successful candidate and their work location. In addition, all employees are eligible for competitive incentive targets, with awards based on overall corporate and individual performance. On top of this, we offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package which includes medical plans for employees and their families, health and wellness programs, retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation, and much more