Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$138,100.00 - $227,800.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Travelers is seeking a Director of Software Engineering to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape.
To achieve our strategy, BI plans to actively recruit and hire talented, early in career engineers to join our teams working on critical business solutions using cutting edge software, data, cyber, and infrastructure engineering technologies, in close partnership with the enterprise Engineering Development program office.
In addition, this leader will be responsible for driving several engineering chapter-related efforts, including skills development, coordinating local training efforts, managing targeted engineering mentorship programs, and other engineering development programs - both for the new hires and existing engineers.
What Will You Do?
- Effectively engage with our Enterprise partners, including the Engineering Development Program Office and Tech Learning & Development, to meet all EDP program objectives for BI Tech
- Partner locally with BI value stream leads, HRBPs, hiring managers, and functional team leaders to provide a positive, foundational experience for these new hires.
- Provide continual career coaching and performance/development guidance to a significant volume of newer hires
- Socialize and reinforce engineering best practices with the EDP participants
- Own and refine BI Tech onboarding pathway and consult on individual value stream onboarding efforts
- Drive several engineering chapter-related efforts, including skills development, local training efforts, engineering mentorship programs, and other engineering development programs - both for the new hires and existing engineers
- Explore additional opportunities to provide an industry-leading experience for our newer hires
- Ensure senior leadership is deeply engaged and informed on critical aspects of EDP efforts
- Lead a team of Software engineers by providing technical guidance and mentorship while modeling Travelers' leadership behaviors.
- Seek opportunities where technology can be utilized to improve the business and provide more efficient processes.
- Apply knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions for software engineering problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Experience with technical leadership development programs
- Experience as a software or data engineer writing and delivering software solutions
- 5 years of related experience; including insurance / financial services industry experience.
- Demonstrated experience implementing current technology trends and techniques (e.g., cloud-based solutions leveraging microservices).
- Interprets internal/ external business challenges and recommends best practices to improve SDLC processes.
- Delivery - Advanced delivery skills including the ability to determine the software design strategy and methodology to be used for efforts, use automated tests, analysis, and informed feedback loops to ensure the quality and production readiness of work before release, monitor the health of work efforts and that of adjacent systems.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to develop business partnerships and influence priorities by identifying solutions that are aligned with current business objective and closely follow industry trends relevant to domain, understanding how to apply them, and sharing knowledge with coworkers.
- Problem Solving - Strong problem solver who utilizes data and proofs of concepts to find creative solutions to difficult problems, reflects on solutions, measuring their impact, and uses that information to ideate and optimize. Also adept at making decisions that involve a significant number of factors with broad implications.
- Communication - Strong communicator who possesses the ability to describe technology concepts in ways the business can understand, document initiatives in a concise and clear manner, collaborate effectively with teammates and others regardless of role, quickly extract core issues from discussions and meetings, give and receive constructive feedback, offer help when asked, and ensure everyone has a chance to share their thoughts and are heard; an attentive and empathetic listener.
- Leadership - Advanced leadership skills with the ability to take action even when there is no clear owner, inspire and motivate others, and be effective at influencing team members.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience.
- Three years of programming/development experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.