Are you looking for more than just a job? Do you want to have a voice and feel a sense of belonging? At ICW Group, we hire innovative people who consistently adapt, grow and deliver. We believe in hard work, a fun work environment, and embracing creativity that only comes about when talented people collaborate to develop solutions. Our mission is to create the best insurance experience possible.
Headquartered in San Diego with regional offices located throughout the United States, ICW Group has been named for seven consecutive years as a Top 50 performing P&C company offering the stability of a large, profitable and growing company combined with a small-company entrepreneurial spirit. Our purpose-driven ethos provides team members with opportunities to contribute, develop, and belong.
Exciting new opportunity for a Workers' Compensation Litigation Attorney to handle all aspects of workers' compensation cases with varying degrees of complexity and to provide other litigation and claim legal advice and services to all areas of the company. This role exists to provide high quality, proactive case handling utilizing legal expertise and litigation skills to independently handle a caseload of moderate exposure cases and standard litigation matters and deliver optimal results for ICW Group.
We will consider remote candidates that reside in Southern California
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Provides litigation services and is responsible for all aspects of assigned Workers' Compensation matters.
- Manages the entire legal process, from investigation and discovery though trial prep and court proceedings, depositions, site inspections, court hearings, trials, etc. and negotiating settlements as required with minimal supervision.
- Litigates workers' compensation cases in California before all state and federal courts, administrative boards, and other court proceedings.
- Represents ICW Group, its related entities and insureds before administrative boards, state and federal courts, Court of Appeal, and the California Supreme Court.
- Assists in premium audit disputes before administrative boards or other court proceedings.
- Assists in subpoenas and other third-party discovery.
- Analyzes legal and factual issues; conducts extensive, well-reasoned legal research, as necessary; independently develop and present defense strategies on behalf of ICW Group.
- Responsible for the prompt, efficient and effective disposition of assigned cases.
Provides accurate legal analysis and strategy recommendations to clients and claims personnel.
- Assists in analyzing, reviewing, and distributing information on new legislation, regulations, court decisions and proceedings.
- Provides strategic legal advice, recommendation, and implementation of clear, cost-effective, and efficient plans of action.
- Delivers ongoing quality assessments of the law and facts and recommendations for timely resolution.
- Assists in the analysis of referrals from claims and determines need for outside investigation or other information from the insured or others.
- Provides effective and timely communications, information, legal advice, and other services to clients and claims professionals on legal and factual issues.
- Develops, with minimal supervision, appropriate legal strategies for all stages of litigation and shares them with claims personnel and clients.
Provides direction to legal support staff.
- Directs paralegals and other legal department staff in their duties and responsibilities in the assistance of matters assigned to the attorney.
- Ensures timely filing of all pleadings and motions or other documents with the court or administrative broads.
- Builds and fosters internal and external client relationships with a customer-centric focus.
- Adheres to all ICW Group's policies and procedures and the California Rules of Professional Conduct.
- This role does not have direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Position will direct the work of support staff, which may include assistants and paralegals, in accordance with company policies and applicable laws, including the California Rules of Professional Conduct.
- These responsibilities include assigning, and directing work; review, revise and approve legal documents; delegate tasks to the appropriate staff member; train, coach, and mentor, as appropriate, support staff to ensure the delivery of quality legal services.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ROLE
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university required. Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited law school required.
- Minimum 5 to 8 years of workers' compensation litigation experience required.
- Licensed and in good standing with the State Bar of California required, with no history of public or private reprisals.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Proficient knowledge in litigating California workers' compensation matters with prior experience handling cases of various types.
- Must have a solid understanding of workers' compensation administrative rules, procedures, laws, and statutes.
- Familiarity with business legal principles and practices is preferred, including knowledge of billing practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in working independently under minimal supervision, maintaining a strong work ethic, and exercising initiative.
- Ability to communicate effectively with external and internal clients both verbally and in writing. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical documents, legal materials of all types, and medical records.
- Strong negotiation and communication skills.
- Ability to respond to inquiries, issues, or questions from internal and external clients, businesses, and members of the State Bar or Judiciary, and regulatory agencies, including effectively responding to the most sensitive inquiries or concerns.
- Ability to effectively present information, verbally and in writing to clients, claims personnel, management, mediators, arbitrators, judges, juries, and members of the public.
- Proficient use of a personal computer and skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe, and PowerPoint. Ability to learn various proprietary computer applications.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts and apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and algebra and geometry to practical situations.
- Ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions and problem-solve.
- Ability to define legal issues, collect necessary data, establish facts, draw legal conclusions, and implement a strategic legal resolution.
- Expert at time management skills, appropriate delegation of activities and the ability to manage multiple legal matters at one time.
The salary range listed for this position, $114,046.39 to $192,331.41, is exclusive of fringe benefits and potential bonuses. If hired at ICW Group, your final base salary compensation will be determined by factors such as skills, experience and/or education. In addition, we believe in the importance of pay equity and consider internal equity of our current team members as part of any final offer. We typically do not hire towards the maximum of the range in order to allow for future and continued salary growth. We also offer a substantial benefits package outlined below.
WHY JOIN ICW GROUP?
- Challenging work and the ability to make a difference
- You will have a voice and feel a sense of belonging
- We offer a competitive benefits package, with generous medical, dental, and vision plans as well as 401K retirement plans and company match
- Bonus potential for all positions
- Paid Time Off with an accrual rate of 5.23 hours per pay period (equal to 17 days per year)
- 10 paid holidays throughout the calendar year
- Want to continue learning? We'll support you 100%
ICW Group is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. ICW Group will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.