Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$72,100.00 - $118,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?This position is responsible for investigating, evaluating, reserving, negotiating and resolving assigned Subrogation claims. Conducts, validates and/or directs front line investigations, determine liability, confirm subrogation potential and maximize recoveries by negotiating and settling subrogation claims. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, investigation, evidence preservation, evaluation, reserving, litigation management, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. Provides consulting and training resources, and serves as a technical resource to recovery professionals, the field and our business partners. As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
- Directly handles assigned severity claims. Investigates each claim to obtain relevant facts necessary to evaluate recovery potential, identify the cause of loss, identify responsible party targets and their carriers, and develop theories of liability through prompt and strategically-appropriate contact with appropriate parties such as policyholders, accounts, claimants, law enforcement agencies, witnesses, agents, medical providers and technical experts.
- Interviews witnesses and stakeholders; obtain necessary statements, as strategically appropriate; adhering to Claim Best Practices and Special Account Communication instructions.
- Delivers consistent service quality and effective diary management to ensure all claims are handled timely throughout the claim life cycle to achieve optimal outcome.
- Directs the preservation of evidence. Actively engages in the identification, selection and direction of appropriate internal and/or external resources for specific activities required to effectively investigate and evaluate claims, such as Risk Control, nurse consultants, and fire or fraud investigators, and other experts. Verifies the nature and extent of the loss.
- Evaluates liability and damages to assess Subrogation potential including consideration of jurisdictional statutes, case law and bodily injury value, where applicable. Update as new information is presented.
- Develops and employs creative resolution strategies.
- Negotiates subrogation recoveries with responsible part(y/ies), their carriers and other legal representatives/attorneys.
- Recognizes and implements alternate means of resolution including arbitration.
- Manages litigated claims. Develops litigation plan with staff or panel counsel, including discovery and legal expenses, to assure effective resolution and to satisfy customers.
- Applies litigation management through the selection of counsel, evaluation and direction of claim and litigation strategy. Tracks and controls legal expenses to assure cost-effective resolution.
- Manages both allocated and unallocated loss adjustment expenses.
- Attends and/or presents at suit committee for collaboration of technical expertise resulting in decisions to litigate subrogation files.
- Coordinates outside investigation as needed per case specifics.
- Attends depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials, trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Updates appropriate party as needed, providing new facts as they become available, and their impact upon the liability analysis and settlement options.
- Attends and/or presents at roundtables/ authority discussions for collaboration of technical expertise resulting in optimal resolution.
- Recognizes cases, based on severity/ complexity protocols that should be transferred to another level of subrogation professional and refers on a timely basis.
- Represents the company as a technical resource; attends legal proceedings as needed, acts within established professional guidelines as well as applicable state laws.
- Actively provides mentoring and coaching to less experienced claim professionals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of claim handling and/or subrogation experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge and skill in claim handling, including: coverage, liability and damages analysis, understanding the litigation process, relevant case and statutory law and general litigation management skills preferred.
- General technical expertise to evaluate severe and complex claims preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of commercial lines products, policy language, exclusions and Insurance Services Office (ISO) forms preferred.
- Analytical Thinking Skills - Intermediate
- Judgment/Decision Making Skills - Intermediate
- Communication Skills - Intermediate
- Negotiation Skills - Intermediate
- Insurance Contract
- Knowledge - Intermediate
- Principles of Investigation-
- Value Determination - Intermediate
- Settlement Techniques - Intermediate
- Legal Knowledge - Intermediate
- Openness to the ideas and expertise of others while actively solicits input and shares ideas - Intermediate
- Coaching, influence and persuasion skills - Intermediate
- Well organized with the ability to prioritize and work Independently - Intermediate
- Can adapt to and support cultural change - Intermediate
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or GED with 2 years of work experience required.
- Experience utilizing computer technology; such as Microsoft Office, Email, Web-enabled applications and database software required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.