Underwriter - Inland Marine
The Inland Marine Business Unit within IAT Insurance Group has an immediate opening for an Inland Marine Underwriter that can be located in any of our locations throughout the United States. For the ideal candidate, we will consider remote.
Review and analyze underwriting files, using judgment and experience as primary criteria, to accept new business or continue renewals within established authority level.
Review and analyze all documents within or associated with the underwriting file to establish accuracy in identification and minimizing risk of exposure, utilizing change requests, claim information, loss control and outside databases to identify changes in exposure to risk.
- Review, evaluate and determine account premium levels using sound judgment consistent with established company premium modification plans within authority limits.
- Read, evaluate and interpret contracts and policies to determine exposures providing guidance and clarification to others consistent with experience.
- Provide clarification and verification of coverage to the Claims Department consistent with experience.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
Bachelors' degree in Risk Management, Finance, Mathematics, Business or related with at least 2 years-experience in commercial underwriting or equivalent
Equivalent is defined as 6 years of relevant commercial underwriting experience
- Thorough knowledge of Insurance Industry
- Must possess the ability to appropriately apply loss development and advanced loss analysis concepts to achieve optimal pricing of a risk.
- Must possess the ability to creatively utilize coverage features, deductibles, or reinsurance on individual risks to achieve company objectives
- Thorough knowledge of commercial insurance products, underwriting, risk selection, pricing and marketplaces, as well as regulatory issues in relevant territories
- To qualify, applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and must not require VISA sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment purposes
Preferred to Have
An aptitude for building rewarding relationships with agents and brokers, peer underwriters, account analysts and junior underwriters CPCU, ARM, or AU industry designations preferred
- INS21, 22 and 23 or equivalent is a plus
- Loss control/risk engineering Skills.
IAT is the largest private, family- owned property and casualty insurer in the U.S. Insurance Answers Together is how we define IAT, in letter and in spirit. We work together to provide solutions for people and businesses. We collaborate internally and with our partners to provide the best possible insurance and surety options for our customers. It's about far more than being a workplace. We're a work family.
At IAT, our fundamental belief is to a create a culture where all employees are heard and have a sense of belonging. Inclusion and Diversity are not just initiatives, it's how we live. We're committed to driving and building an open and supportive culture. By embracing the uniqueness of our employees, investing in their development, listening to, and engaging their ideas, we are stronger as an organization.
Our employees propel IAT forward – driving innovation, stable partnerships and growth. That's why we continue to build an engaging workplace culture to attract and retain the best talent. We offer comprehensive benefits like:
- 26 PTO Days (Entry Level) + 12 Company Holidays = 38 Paid Days Off
- Healthcare and Wellness Programs
- Opportunity to earn performance-based bonuses
- 7% 401(k) Company Match and additional Discretionary Retirement Contribution
- College Loan Assistance Support Plan
- Educational Assistance Program
- Mentorship Program
- Dress for Your Day Policy
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and participate in E-Verify.
Come join the IAT family!
COVID 19 Statement:
IAT actively tracks COVID vaccination rates, possible symptoms, and cases across the organization so we can make informed decisions about workplace safety. As a result, while IAT does not require employees to be vaccinated, employees are required to log their vaccination records and attest daily to being symptom free before entering IAT offices.
Steve Morley | Senior Recruiter