Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The hourly salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual hourly rate for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$22.00 - $23.00
What Is the Opportunity?The Bond & Specialty Insurance Underwriting Internship Program provides qualified students with an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand experience, The Bond & Specialty Insurance Underwriting Internship Program provides qualified students with an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand experience, receive valuable on-the-job training and learn more about the property & casualty insurance industry.
What exactly is an Underwriter? Insurance is the contractual transfer of financial risk from one party to another. Underwriters (Account Executives) are the heart of the insurance process, gathering and researching pertinent information and then using finely tuned analytical skills to evaluate the acceptability of business and institutional risk. However, underwriters are more than just analysts - they are the core relationship builders with our agents and clients. They are responsible for managing a profitable portfolio of business through our distributing agents and brokers. An underwriting career includes a dynamic blend of analytical and marketing skills - it's challenging, stimulating and a superb career choice.
What Will You Do?
The Bond and Specialty Insurance Division: The Bond & Specialty Insurance provides management liability, professional liability and surety to businesses of all sizes. It also provides traditional property casualty coverages to Financial Institutions, and is organized into six separate and distinct business units which include:
- Commercial Surety: Protects a third party from the failure of an insured to perform or fulfill an obligation
- Construction Services: Insuring the bond between contractors and clients -Financial Institutions: Insurance for community banks, credit unions, insurance companies, investment advisors and large depository & non-depository institutions
- Private/Non Profit Liability: Insurance products for private companies and non-profit institutions
- Professional Liability: Professional liability coverage protects against liability claims for negligence, errors and omissions in the performance of professional services
- Public Company Liability: Insurance products crafted to address the diverse management liability exposures faced by today's public companies
Each intern will be expected to complete challenging and meaningful project work over the course of this program. In addition, there are core assignments and a designated coach to further develop interns' knowledge of insurance underwriting, sales and marketing.
Positions are available across various U.S. offices lasting approximately 10-12 weeks beginning in late May/early June. Housing assistance is not provided.
Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Because the Bond & Specialty Internship Program itself is complex and dynamic, we welcome applicants that have a variety of majors, backgrounds and experiences. For this internship opportunity, we are most interested in students who are serious about entering the insurance industry and who are excited about the prospect of making underwriting their future career choice.
- Preferred cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Undergraduate students completing their sophomore or junior year.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- Business Administration
- Liberal Arts (with business focus preferred)
- Risk Management and Insurance
What is a Must Have?
- Must be pursuing a Bachelor's degree.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.