Senior Underwriter - Excess Casualty
This is your opportunity to join AXIS Capital – a trusted global provider of specialty lines insurance and reinsurance. We stand apart for our outstanding client service, intelligent risk taking and superior risk adjusted returns for our shareholders. We also proudly maintain an entrepreneurial, disciplined and ethical corporate culture. As a member of AXIS, you join a team that is among the best in the industry.
At AXIS, we believe that we are only as strong as our people. We strive to create an inclusive and welcoming culture where employees of all backgrounds and from all walks of life feel comfortable and empowered to be themselves. This means that we bring our whole selves to work.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, civil union status, family or parental status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodation is available upon request for candidates taking part in the selection process.
The AXIS U.S. Excess Casualty Division is seeking a dynamic individual to join a newly formed strategic team of professional underwriters operating in one of the most fast paced and highly transactional areas of the Excess and Surplus Lines industry.
Under Executive Vice President (EVP) supervision, the individual will act within established guidelines to actively market, analyze, review, evaluate and monitor new and renewal accounts with premiums ranging between $25,000 and $100,000. Exercise sound judgment in the processing and management of a high volume of E&S excess casualty accounts and underwriting activities.
Within a progressive work environment, the individual will be responsible for the development, growth, and profitability of a premium targeted E&S Excess Casualty book of business. Individual should be recognized for their strength in technical analysis, integrity, customer service, and highest level of work ethic. Individual will drive business results through opportunity triage, strong underwriting analysis, active sales and marketing efforts, long-term client relationship building, and collaborative engagement with internal business partners.
This role is based in Alpharetta, GA (Avalon location) and requires a minimum of three predetermined days in the office per week.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Underwrite a profitable book of small to medium sized surplus lines Excess Casualty risks employing the appropriate analytical diagnostics to assess acceptability.
- Expertise in analyzing primary General liability and Auto liability pricing adequacy.
- Execute the triage, underwriting and quote process at a highly accelerated pace, while functioning within a dynamic product line area.
- Ability to negotiate terms and conditions in a highly competitive environment with a broad range of wholesale brokers.
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks in highly transactional underwriting and quoting environment.
- Underwriting and developing a profitable book of business in support of strategic business plans while retaining diversified mix of business to achieve overall growth and profit objectives.
- Properly document all account transactions using the required U.S. Excess Casualty documentation standards, which are “right-sized” for the small to middle excess casualty account environment.
- Developing a countrywide marketing strategy that recognizes the small to medium premium risk appetite of the Excess unit and the wholesale brokers that produce desirable accounts to meet new and renewal business goals.
- Support changes to long-term and short-term business strategies with the ability to adjust quickly to effectively achieve profitability goals.
- Make recommendations to EVP regarding market strategy, product development and departmental efficiencies.
- Stay up to date on national, state, and regional issues/regulations, industry activity and trends.
- Mentor less experienced staff and assist in the development of ongoing underwriting training.
- Responsible for special underwriting projects and presentations as requested by EVP.
Required Education/Training & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required. CPCU, ARM, and/or ASLI designations are a plus.
- A minimum of five years small to medium sized E&S or Standard Lines Excess Casualty underwriting experience.
- Strong negotiation and business development abilities. Established wholesale broker relationships are highly desired.
- Strong technical expertise, underwriting skills, and a sound level of knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices, and procedures.
Other desired skills and characteristics:
- Strong communication, negotiation, influencing and presentation skills.
- Highest level of work ethic and commitment to success.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external business partners, with a strong emphasis on teamwork and collaboration.
- Excellent wholesale broker relationships
- Ability to effectively analyze and quickly assess risk and develop creative solutions.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Excel and other business-related software.
For this position, we currently expect to offer a base salary in the range of $155.000-175,000 (GA). The specific salary offer will be based on an assessment of a variety of factors including the experience of the successful candidate and their work location.
In addition, all employees are eligible for competitive incentive targets, with awards based on overall corporate and individual performance. On top of this, we offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package which includes medical plans for employees and their families, health and wellness programs, retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation, and much more.