Underwriting Consultant, Risk Management Sharing Economy - Remote
With ride-hailing, vehicle-sharing, car subscriptions, on-demand delivery, micro mobility and autonomous vehicles, transportation options have never been so plentiful or presented so many emerging risks.
Drawing on Liberty's vast commercial and personal lines expertise, our Mobility & Sharing Economy Practice represents a new underwriting model that brings a full range of tailored solutions and nuanced pricing approaches to the marketplace. This dedicated practice combines creative commercial underwriting with product, actuarial, legal, and claims teams to deliver a robust insurance experience. Join our expanding underwriting team to foster change and innovation to the traditional insurance landscape. Partner with brokers and mobility / sharing economy businesses to develop risk management solutions to address today's unique exposures and prepare for the future.
Our team is preparing for disruption and helping to strategically position Liberty at the forefront of the new mobility world. Since its inception in 2019, the team has exceeded new business goals and written some of the largest accounts in the company. Liberty Mutual's Mobility & Sharing Economy team was named Insurance Underwriting Team of the Year in 2020 by Business Insurance in recognition of its innovation and creativity in this space.
As a Sharing Economy Underwriting Consultant, you will help develop and apply creative insights and sophisticated capabilities as we navigate the evolving blend of commercial and personal insurance exposures and products. You will underwrite commercial auto, workers compensation and general liability as well as collaborate with other underwriting segments for cross sell opportunities such as umbrella, excess, cyber, tech E&O, property, and inland marine. Under limited supervision, you will be responsible for developing, growing, and maintaining a profitable, diversified book of business through marketing, underwriting decision making, building mutually beneficial agent/broker relationships, and establishing a market-facing leadership presence.
Underwriting sharing economy risks requires curiosity and innovation to understand how businesses look today and what they will become tomorrow as the market develops. If you have strong analytical, communication, and negotiation skills and are seeking to explore an emerging underwriting space, this dynamic and collaborative environment is the place to thrive.
- Risk Selection: Reviews, rates, underwrites, evaluates, and assesses sharing economy and new mobility companies applying for insurance by qualifying accounts, identifying, selecting, and assessing risks, determining the premium, policy terms and conditions, obtaining approvals, creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker, and successfully negotiating deals.
- Agent/Broker/Customer Relationships: Demonstrates a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Agents and Brokers objectives. Establishes, develops, and maintains successful relationships with Agents and Brokers to facilitate marketing of products, through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or enhanced knowledge of their customers' businesses. Develops strong personal brand to build and maintain a long-term quality pipeline with Agents/Brokers.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a sizable and complex sharing economy book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit, and diversification; Executes marketing plans to increase market share. Provides input to the development of marketing plans, product analysis, services, geographic focus, and broker intelligence.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, signoffs and referrals that comply with state regulations, letter of authority, and underwriting guidelines.
- Leadership & Innovation: Creates innovative insurance solutions for sharing economy and new mobility segments; Develops underwriting protocols, products, and coverages to address emerging risks; Monitors and analyzes market trends and competitive landscape.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, participating in problem solving activities; Uses continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
- Teamwork: Collaborates with the sharing economy cross-functional team members and other departments including product, claims, services, actuarial, risk control services, legal and domestic and international underwriting teams.
- Advanced knowledge of P&C industry, underwriting concepts, practices, procedures and techniques, including but not limited to coverage issues, product lines, pricing, risk selection, actuarial concepts, reinsurance, DOI regulations and competitive landscape. In particular, knowledge of commercial fleet and HNOA auto underwriting and/or product management experience (or other related functions) preferred
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training plus 7 to 10 years of loss sensitive commercial underwriting preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation strongly preferred
- Ability to effectively interact with brokers and internal departments; proven collaboration and teamwork experiences; Strong relationship, negotiation, influencing and persuasive skills
- Strong verbal and written communications and organizational skills
- Strong negotiation, analytical and decision-making skills
- Self-starter who will search for opportunities and challenges and then address them accordingly
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.