Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$95,800.00 - $158,100.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under general supervision, responsible for executing all aspects of audits of operational and financial functions across the company. Through assessment of the entity's control environment, identifies areas for improvement and recommends corrective actions to the business. Provides training and coaching to team members throughout audit engagements and other projects. This job is a team lead.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility. #LI-Hybrid
What Will You Do?
- Plans, leads and ensures execution of the audits of various company business functions, incorporating an understanding of business processes, risk assessment techniques, GAAP and statutory accounting principles, and generally accepted accounting and auditing standards.
- Leads Sarbanes-Oxley compliance reviews and performs business monitoring.
- Develops audit plans, programs and specific tests to evaluate control areas.
- Has supervisory responsibility for review of work performed and acts as a lead reviewer to manage audit projects.
- Independently assesses the effectiveness of controls, determines the potential impact of any control failure and recommends corrective action to the business.
- Prepares documentation in adherence to internal audit professional standards, best practices and Corporate Audit's methodology.
- Reviews workpapers to determine completion and adherence to standards.
- Writes audit reports with minimal supervision.
- Performs regular business monitoring of Traveler's business functions by maintaining ongoing relationships with key members of business management, attending meetings and reviewing documentation.
- Monitors the status of existing corrective actions and schedules validation of completed corrective actions.
- Ensures that all parts of each audit are completed, in addition to monitoring and reporting time incurred versus time budgeted.
- Identifies emerging industry issues and assesses any implications for the company.
- Assists the Program Director with preparation of the quarterly audit results summary presented to business management. The summary includes the results of recent audits and the status of issues and corrective action plans.
- Proactively trains and develops staff in the application of various audit and risk assessment techniques and accounting principles as well as coaches team members to enhance their capabilities and career development.
- Consistently adheres to internal audit professional standards, best practices and Corporate Audit's methodology.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- 5+ years of work experience in either audit or property casualty business.
- Thorough knowledge of risk assessment and accounting and auditing principles.
- Technical Competence:
- Advanced knowledge of insurance business, accounting, systems and products.
- Intermediate understanding of the relationships between financial, operational and technology risks and controls as well as the insurance industry.
- Intermediate knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Intermediate understanding of the audit cycle, universe, plan and schedule, including business monitoring and SOX validation.
- Advanced skills with commonly used office software including: MS Office, email and the Internet.
- Intermediate ability to evaluate the materiality of issues and see the big picture .
- Ability to utilize critical thinking by applying process analysis, business intelligence, and problem solving techniques.
- Ability to leverage CAATs to improve audit test efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Advanced ability to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Advanced ability to streamline work processes and assist in the development of department standards.
- Openness to influence, flexibility and self-awareness.
- Ability to act as a role model and motivate others to take initiative and use intuitive thinking.
- Ability to embrace change and drive improvement and innovation.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely; disseminate information about decisions, plans and activities.
- Ability to articulate messages to business management through formal and informal presentations.
- Advanced ability to write and edit clear and concise work papers and reports.
- Build Relationships:
- Ability to build productive working relationships with co-workers, business management and external parties.
- Team Building:
- Ability to successfully coordinate and direct team members including integrating specialists.
- Ability to mentor the more junior team members in auditing techniques, principles and the business.
What is a Must Have?
- BA/BS in business-related field.
- Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor or related certification.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.