Consultant, Strategy & Innovation
This role will be based in our Boston MA headquarters office
About the Team
This group is a part of the Enterprise Strategy Office at Liberty Mutual Insurance, a Fortune 100 company with 45,000 employees in 900 offices worldwide. Our mission is to act as a catalyst for Artificial intelligence (AI)-enabled innovation across Liberty Mutual, and all of insurance, which includes driving the company's AI Collaboration with one of the top research institutions in the world. Liberty Mutual recognizes that AI and data science is driving the next wave of transformation in the insurance industry across the entire value chain (e.g., underwriting/risk selection, quoting/buying, customer behavior, claims fraud detection) and interdisciplinary collaboration is critical to unlocking its business and societal impact.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
You will play an important role to support Liberty Mutual's efforts in its AI Collaboration with a world-renowned research institution through your active work with stakeholders across the enterprise (e.g., business leaders, Product, data scientists, IT) to strategically ideate, develop, and operationalize AI-enabled projects and their resulting innovations.
You will support one of the group's Directors to help source and guide innovation projects from all areas of the organization, typically in the realm of AI/emerging technologies (e.g., modeling, virtual agents, recommender systems, synthetic datasets, IoT, computer vision, NLP, model fairness). You will support the successful end-to-end delivery of several transformational projects and act as a partner to internal and external stakeholders. These impactful projects will help Liberty Mutual develop AI competitive advantages, while enriching the lives of customers, employees, and partners.
You will develop exceptional problem solving and stakeholder relationship skills while contributing to the growth of a high performing team. In turn, the Director will support your development and career aspirations.
Responsibilities will include:
- Acting as a driver to support Liberty Mutual's efforts in the Academic Collaboration; working with business partners to identify and enable transformational opportunities in AI/ML and realize identified value
- Supporting the strategic development and prioritization of project proposals, workplans, and research aligned with the vision and goals of the CEO and Executive Leadership Team (ELT)
- Collaborating with business partners to ensure the successful execution, implementation, and scaling of high impact AI projects, with an eye toward shortening the path from research to value creation
- Individually and within the team, maintaining a solid understanding of ongoing projects/business challenges and potential emerging technological solutions
- Crafting storylines and presenting complex analytical concepts/strategic findings to key stakeholders to move project teams to action
- Contributing to one of several programmatic initiatives (e.g., pipeline management, cross-BU engagement, knowledge and capability development)
- Contributing to a high-performing team; bringing positive energy and collaborating on approaches with the group's leadership to resolve challenging relationship situations under tight deadlines
The compensation for this role is dependent on experience and education.
The group is looking for a highly motivated individual with a strategic mindset, balanced with an action-oriented capability of achieving results. The candidate should have a natural passion for innovation, AI and data science applications, and the future of insurance.
Ideal candidates will possess:
- Undergraduate degree from a top-tier institution required; advanced degree or credentialing in a related field a plus
- 1-3 years of experience with some combination of strategy consulting, product management (with specialization in innovation, AI, emerging tech), corporate-level innovation, or data & analytics
- Client facing and/or insurance industry experience a plus
- Demonstrated ability to strategize and drive projects to completion
- Excellent influencing skills through verbal, analytical, written, and presentation/storyboarding communications
- Strong critical thinking skills with ability to elevate thinking and apply judgment during analysis about how components fit together and with bigger picture
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, and proactively across a variety of stakeholders
- Interest in the use of data and analytics to solve business problems
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, agile environment with incomplete information
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel
- The role is located in Boston, MA only; working in a hybrid model (weekly blend of in-office and WFH).
- All candidates must apply to the job posting on the Liberty Mutual Careers website with their resume.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.