Lead Underwriter, E&S Property
This is your opportunity to join AXIS Capital – a trusted global provider of specialty lines insurance and reinsurance. We stand apart for our outstanding client service, intelligent risk taking and superior risk adjusted returns for our shareholders. We also proudly maintain an entrepreneurial, disciplined and ethical corporate culture. As a member of AXIS, you join a team that is among the best in the industry.
At AXIS, we believe that we are only as strong as our people. We strive to create an inclusive and welcoming culture where employees of all backgrounds and from all walks of life feel comfortable and empowered to be themselves. This means that we bring our whole selves to work.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, civil union status, family or parental status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodation is available upon request for candidates taking part in the selection process.
AXIS' U.S. Excess & Surplus (E&S) Property Division is seeking a dynamic individual to join a strategic team of professional underwriters operating in one of the most complex areas of the E&S industry. Under Senior Vice President (SVP) supervision, the individual will act within established guidelines to actively market, analyze, review, evaluate and monitor new and renewal accounts. Exercise sound judgment in the processing and management of E&S accounts and underwriting activities. Senior Underwriter - the individual will be responsible for the development, growth and profitability of a challenging E&S Property book of business. Individual should be recognized for their strength in technical analysis, integrity, and highest level of work ethic. Individual will drive business results through strong underwriting analysis, active sales and marketing efforts, long-term client relationship building, and collaborative engagement with internal business partners.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Underwrite a profitable book of complex surplus lines E&S Property risks employing the appropriate analytical diagnostics to assess acceptability.
- Expertise in analyzing E&S property pricing adequacy.
- Ability to negotiate terms and conditions in a highly complex and competitive environment with a broad range of wholesale brokers and facultative reinsurance markets.
- Advanced analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Underwriting and developing a profitable book of business in support of strategic business plans while retaining diversified mix of business in order to achieve overall growth and profit objectives.
- Developing a countrywide marketing strategy that recognizes the risk appetite of the E&S property and the wholesale brokers that produce desirable accounts to meet new business goals.
Required Education/Training & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required. CPCU, ARM, and/or ASLI designations are a plus.
- A minimum of eight years E&S Property or complex Property experience.
- Strong negotiation and business development abilities.
- Established wholesale broker relationships are highly desired.
Other desired skills and characteristics:
- Strong communication, negotiation, influencing and presentation skills Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external business partners. Strong wholesale broker relationships Ability to effectively analyze and assess risk and develop creative solutions.
- Advanced technical expertise, underwriting skills and a high level of knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices and procedures.
- In-depth knowledge of the E&S Property lines of business and legal and regulatory guidelines, to include demonstrated technical knowledge and skills reflective of a progression of positions with increasing responsibility.