Claims Manager II (Energy, Property and Construction Technical Claims Manager)
Liberty Specialty Markets (www.libertyspecialtymarkets.com) (LSM) is one of the largest insurers in the Insurance and Reinsurance market and operates at a scale of nearly $3.5 billion in gross written premium, which would place us in the top 10% of FTSE 250 companies by revenue. It has over 900 employees in 30 offices throughout the UK, US, Europe and the rest of the world, and is a subsidiary of global insurer Liberty Mutual Insurance Group.
Liberty Specialty Markets also benefits from the full financial strength of the Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, a Boston-based US Fortune 100 company which, as of 31 December 2014, had $124.3 billion in consolidated assets and $39.6 billion in consolidated revenue.
Liberty Mutual Insurance Group offers a wide range of insurance products and services, including personal automobile, homeowners, workers compensation, property, commercial automobile, general liability, global specialty, group disability, reinsurance and surety. Liberty Mutual Insurance Group (www.libertymutualinsurance.com) employs over 50,000 people in more than 900 offices throughout the world.
Liberty Specialty Markets Claims department handles claims through all stages from initial notification to conclusion, including; analysis of new notifications, coverage, liability and quantum, establishing and monitoring appropriate reserves, settlements and making claims payments as required.
The Energy, Property and Construction Technical Claims Manager will report to the LSM Head of Claims in West Region but also will have responsibility to global claims leaders of the Energy and Construction classes and as such will work with local regional claims managers and business leads where necessary.
To help achieve our vision of being a leading provider of Energy Property and Construction claims solutions, delivering a first class claims handling and file management service.
Managing and resolving claims efficiently and fairly in accordance with the Claims Charter/Code of Conduct and Claims Process Guidelines.
Working closely with the London EPC Claims Managers and EPC Managers Globally to deliver corporate goals whilst promoting LSM's core values. The role will require provision of strong technical support and sound claims handling judgement to specialists across all EPC lines to ensure outstanding customer service at all times.
- Responsible for performance, development and coaching of staff (i.e. hiring, terminating, performance and salary management). Manage 2-3 direct reports.
- Serve as a technical resource for Claims and Underwriting Staff
- Determine liability, review coverages and settle claims.
- Provide claims management by meeting with brokers, Risk Managers and reinsurers to implement and maintain claim management programs.
- Establishe adequate reserves for indemnity and expense, and review reserves on a regular basis to ensure adequacy.
- Provide direction to external lawyers with respect to coverage, investigation and ultimate settlement, including, but not limited to direct participation in mediation and arbitration and active participation in settlement discussions.
- Actively pursue all avenues of recovery including, but not limited to timely recovery of deductibles from insureds and managing subrogation activities.
- Provide regular reports to Claims management regarding losses either exceeding or likely to exceed the authority level or as prescribed by regulations within the Claims manual.
- Participate in new product development. Other duties as assigned.
- Role involves approximately 10% travel, generally to market meetings & events. These engagements are occasional & as needed, with no specific/strict schedule in general (such as monthly or quarterly).
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Minimum of 15 years' experience in the US Market in relevant classes.
Advanced knowledge of claims handling concepts, practices, procedures and techniques, including, but not limited to: coverage issues, product lines, marketing, IT and product competition within the marketplace.
Knowledge of law and insurance regulations in various US jurisdictions.
The ability to effectively interact with brokers and internal departments is essential.
Strong verbal and written communication, and organization skills.
Strong negotiation, analytical and decision-making skills.
Willingness to mix tasks and work in a changing environment to achieve the efficient operation of the claims team.
Ability to decide the complexity of claims on prescribed rules.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant and progressively more responsible work experience required, preferably including at least 3 years of supervisory experience
- At least 5 years claims handling within a technical specialty
- Advanced knowledge of claims handling concepts, practices, procedures and techniques, including, but not limited to: coverage issues, product lines, marketing, computers and product competition within the marketplace
- Advanced knowledge of a technical specialty
- Knowledge of law and insurance regulations in various jurisdictions
- The ability to effectively interact with brokers and internal departments
- Strong verbal and written communications and organizational skills
- Strong negotiation, analytical and decision making skills
- Bachelors' degree or equivalent training; advanced degrees or certifications preferred
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.