Insurance Defense Attorney
At Liberty Mutual, we're committed to delivering exceptional legal services to our customers around the world, working to uphold and protect our policyholders' rights and positively impacting our business. As an Insurance Defense Attorney at Liberty Mutual, you'll join a diverse team that values a healthy work/life balance and enjoy benefits that include eligible performance bonuses, 20 days of flexible time off each year, personal holidays, a pension plan and a 401(k) plan with matching contributions. If you're looking for a place to build a long-term career while making a positive difference, consider joining our legal team where you'll represent Liberty Mutual and our policyholders in moderately complex civil litigation matters involving claims for monetary damages or compensation for personal injuries or property damage of moderate value.
We encourage you to apply and bring your expertise if you're a:
- Experienced litigation attorney: You'll manage the entire legal process, from investigation and discovery though trial prep and court proceedings representing clients in depositions, site inspections, court hearings, trials, etc. and negotiating settlements as required.
- Strategic partner: Researching all applicable laws and findings, you will develop appropriate legal strategies for all stages of litigation and share them with claims representatives and insured clients.
- People person: You'll establish and maintain good relationships with claims representatives and insured clients, and occasionally conduct training sessions for Legal, Claims or other departments.
- Effective communicator: You'll develop and render clear, unambiguous legal opinions and strategies, and draft legal documents including pleadings and motions.
- Collaborative mentor: You'll provide guidance and direction to junior attorneys, paralegals or law clerks, while also having opportunities to interact and collaborate with Home Office Legal.
What you've got:
- Membership in the TN Bar
- Appropriate special licenses to practice before boards or federal courts preferred
- A minimum of three years of successful experience conducting discovery, depositions, oral arguments, mediations, arbitrations, hearings and trials.
- Experience representing insurance companies
- Talent for cultivating strong working relationships with internal and external partners
- Aptitude for detailed, analytical thinking
- Process-oriented mindset, with proven ability to meet deadlines and stay organized
- Persuasive oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of insurance law
- Familiarity with the latest developments in the practice of law, as well as pertinent knowledge in related fields
- Proficiency with technologies that reduce costs and facilitate the practice of law and remote work
- A JD degree
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.