Director of Data Engineering - Analytics - GRM Tech
Liberty Mutual' s largest business unit, Global Retail Markets (GRM), is searching for a passionate Technology / IT leader to work as the Director of Data Engineering Analytics in the Global Data and Analytics Engineering (DAE) department. This Director will be a compassionate leader who is driven to lead teams in delivering data analytics and data science solutions, platforms, and tools. This role is responsible for leading a new global team dedicated to Analytics engineering and administration to provide competitive analytics to our business. This leader will have a passion for leadership and depth in designing a holistic and effective data analytics ecosystem, including enabling Business Intelligence (BI), analytics, data science, AI/ML, and ML Ops tools, processes, and technologies to support delivering business insights. The Global DAE team is focused on delivering data products and capabilities aligned to the US, East, and West strategic business priorities.
This data technology expert and leader will be responsible for plotting a strategy and implementation of an integrated Analytics ecosystem in line with overall data architecture strategy. This ecosystem will provide self-serve, secure, data analytics environments supporting the highly valued and dynamic data science and analytics needs of the future. You will lead a global team of business intelligence, analytics platform and data engineers, and operate with a startup mentality to deliver sound, data-driven products, insights and business growth. You empower data driven decision making through implementing principles of data mining, data modelling, and analytical skills to define and measure metrics for evaluating health of the business. You will collaborate with peer teams in business solutions, data platforms, design and architecture to develop long term data strategy and partner closely with business stakeholders to ensure solutions meet business needs and designs are consistently applied across aligned platforms, technologies and future proofed where feasible.
About the role:
- Implement business and IT vision through creation of new data analytics strategy leveraging new Data Evolution (DEVO) standard architecture
- Drive transformation of analytics environments through learning business critical analytics processes and ensuring those are re-architected, re-built, managed, and supported to ensure automation, stability, reliability, and security.
- Work closely with Architects and other colleagues create as-is, interim, and to-be Analytics implementation plans
- Lead, develop and build a team of data engineers, Business Intelligence Engineers and administrators
- Partner with business stakeholders to create a vision and roadmap for analytics by understanding their use cases and data needs and helping them solve problems
- Develop solutions aligned to the roadmap for data analytics infrastructure, analytics automation, analytical tools, and data science products to drive a step change in our processes and analytical capabilities
- Establish best practices including documentation, quality assurance, automation, code reviews, quality checks, and data alarms.
- Create a culture of continuous improvement through automation, self-service analytics, and reporting.
- Lead complex data analysis to gain insights into performance of analytics systems.
- Foster an environment for continued team exploration and learning
- Partner with Data scientists to establish platforms, tools, and processes to support new statistical/ML approaches to improve our business insights.
- Build an exciting technology team with a fun work environment and culture
- Anticipates and manages technology evolution and relates it to business solutions. Sets direction based on alignment to business and overall technology standards.
- Devise talent strategy for the team identify resource gaps or inefficiencies, build hiring plan, contractor complement in line with acceptable ratios, recommend promotions and manage performance for consistency with the needs and vision of the department.
- Establish financial plan for department in line with DAE goals / budget; ensures project financial plans are met
- Develop and maintain a network of industry contacts; performs or directs research on industry trends, competitors, business, and IT products; analyzes trends and makes strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in technical or business discipline or related experience; Master's Degree preferred.
- Generally, ten (10) years advancing experience and mastery in multiple data analytics engineering and support technologies (such as MicroStrategy, Tableau, Qlik Sense, Power BI, SAS, Sagemaker, R, Python or others)
- Five (5) or more years in people leadership in data engineering roles
- Depth of knowledge of data analytics engineering practices including cloud data platforms, BI, dashboards, analytics, data science, and orchestration using cloud data platforms
- Working knowledge of data management practices such as data governance, data catalog, data modeling, and/or MDM
- Working knowledge of Agile, CI/CD, and DevOps practices and tooling
- Driven by excellence and motivates teams to achieve great things
- Passion for operational efficiency, quantitative performance metrics and process orientation
- Customer passion, business focus and the ability to negotiate, facilitate and build consensus
- The ability to promote a strong remote team culture / environment across geographical and functional units
- Strong partner / vendor management of teams and financial / budget management
- Excellent organizational, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong team management, organizational, communication and presentation skills.
- Experience with Snowflake and/or Snaplogic or Informatica strongly preferred.
- Experience in Data Science and Advanced Analytic tools (Amazon SageMaker, R, Python and/or SAS) preferred.
- Experience with Data Virtualization and tools such as Denodo over relational and non-relational sources, preferred.
- Working knowledge of IT standards and guidelines (such as ITIL).
- Strong vendor management skills preferred.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.