Major Case Director
IAT Insurance Group has an immediate need for a MCU Director in our Major Case Unit that can be located in any of our IAT offices. This role is a true complex claims handling role that is tasked with managing those claims that are most complex and have the greatest financial exposure under our commercial liability policies. The ideal candidate for this role will be an experienced claim professional with extensive experience handling general liability claims including, premises and liquor liability, as well as auto and trucking claims on a national basis with value in excess of $250,000.
Please note, IAT works on a hybrid schedule. This role will be required to work from the office Monday through Wednesday with the option of working remotely Thursday and Friday.
- Handles highly complex exposure claims based on Claim Guidelines.
- Directs and manages use of independent investigators, appraisers, and experts. Selects, directs and manages defense counsel including approval of budgets
- Develops litigation/file disposition strategy. Attends mediations, settlement conferences and trials.
- Reports to reinsurers as required by reporting guidelines.
- Assist Sr. Claim specialists with analysis of claim issues as needed.
- Verifies/analyzes applicable coverage for the reported loss.
- Establishes 24-hour contact and maintain appropriate contact with all involved stakeholders throughout the life of the claim file.
- Investigates each claim by gathering information, conducting interviews, taking statements, conducting website research as needed, reviewing and analyzing reports and related bills.
- Identifies and addresses subrogation/contribution/SIU opportunities.
- Sets accurate/timely loss/expense reserves in compliance with Claim Guidelines.
- Evaluates, negotiates, and authorizes settlements with all stakeholders within designated authority.
- Selects, directs and manages Vendors/Counsel including approval of defense budgets.
- Negotiates directly with claimants and claimant attorneys upon receipt of critical information.
- Drafts correspondence, including but not limited to, coverage letters to stakeholders as required.
- Maintains resident/nonresident adjuster licenses as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors' degree with a minimum of 12 years of claims handling experience in the insurance industry or equivalent.
- Equivalent is defined as a JD or Master's degree and 8 years of relevant experience or a high school diploma and 16 years of experience.
- Law degree preferred, but not mandatory in lieu of adequate experience.
- At least 5 years liability claim experience, which focused on claims with an exposure of $250,000 or more including both primary and excess losses.
- Excellent coverage analysis skills with experience in drafting coverage position correspondence.
- Extensive experience working with general liability, construction defect, garage, commercial trucking as well as identifying coverage issues.
- Experience handling litigated files and direction of defense counsel.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Must be able to travel, average 4 days a month.
- Licensure as required by respective state(s).
- CPCU and other insurance related studies are beneficial.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize, multi-task and prioritize work.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to analyze data, utilize sound judgment to draw conclusion and make supported decisions.
- To qualify, applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and must note require, now or in the future, VISA sponsorship for employment purposes
IAT is the largest private, family- owned property and casualty insurer in the U.S. Insurance Answers Together is how we define IAT, in letter and in spirit. We work together to provide solutions for people and businesses. We collaborate internally and with our partners to provide the best possible insurance and surety options for our customers. It's about far more than being a workplace. We're a work family.
At IAT, our fundamental belief is to a create a culture where all employees are heard and have a sense of belonging. Inclusion and Diversity are not just initiatives, it's how we live. We're committed to driving and building an open and supportive culture. By embracing the uniqueness of our employees, investing in their development, listening to, and engaging their ideas, we are stronger as an organization.
Our employees propel IAT forward – driving innovation, stable partnerships and growth. That's why we continue to build an engaging workplace culture to attract and retain the best talent. We offer comprehensive benefits like:
- 26 PTO Days (Entry Level) + 12 Company Holidays = 38 Paid Days Off
- Healthcare and Wellness Programs
- Opportunity to earn performance-based bonuses
- 7% 401(k) Company Match and additional Profit Sharing
- College Loan Assistance Support Plan
- Educational Assistance Program
- Mentorship Program
- Dress for Your Day Policy
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and participate in E-Verify.
Come join the IAT family!
COVID 19 Statement:
IAT actively tracks COVID vaccination rates, possible symptoms, and cases across the organization so we can make informed decisions about workplace safety. As a result, while IAT does not require employees to be vaccinated, employees are required to log their vaccination records and attest daily to being symptom free before entering IAT offices.