Contract Surety Underwriter Trainee (Heathrow)
Raise your hand if you're naturally curious and enjoy learning about different industries and how their businesses operate. We get that. In fact, this Underwriting Trainee role might be the perfect career launch to keep you learning, analyzing and growing. This position exposes hires to all angles of the Underwriting profession and will prepare hires to apply analytical skills to evaluate business risk from an insurance standpoint.
Building a strong career foundation is imperative to professional growth – that's why our Underwriting Trainee program is designed to provide hires with the skills needed for a rewarding future in Underwriting. Trainees will be mentored by a designated coach to learn about the company, and the part they'll play in making IAT successful.
IAT Insurance Group has an opening for a Surety Underwriter Trainee in our Orlando, Florida location, starting in June of 2023.
This position is a great entry-level career opportunity and/or a great position for someone with several years of industry experience who wants to continue to learn and grow in the insurance industry. The program consists of Home Office classroom sessions, Field Office training and individual study. This program offers qualified candidates the chance to learn about the insurance business and the opportunity for a successful career in the surety industry. Please note, IAT works on a hybrid schedule, working from the office Monday through Wednesday with the option of working remotely Thursday and Friday.
Upon completion of the training program the candidate will be prepared to:
- Assess legal documents including contracts, bond forms, General Agreements of Indemnity and similar documents
- Evaluate the financial position of firms by analyzing their financial statements, job schedules and credit reports
- Analyze a construction firm's management and organizational capabilities to prosecute single projects and overall work program
- Develop effective business relationships with agency partnerships
- Closely interact with Branch Management and Home Office personnel
- Perform other duties as necessary
- A four-year college degree, Juris Doctorate, or equivalent applicable experience (We will consider May 2023 graduates)
- Equivalent is defined as 4 years of applicable insurance industry experience.
- The desire and ability to travel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as demonstrated leadership, professionalism, organization and time management.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by employer, now or in the future.
*Current IAT employees must have been in their role for at least six months and must have received, at a minimum, a “Meets Expectations” during their performance review to be eligible for the program.
We are an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and participate in E-Verify.
IAT is the largest private, family- owned property and casualty insurer in the U.S. Insurance Answers Together® is how we define IAT, in letter and in spirit. We work together to provide solutions for people and businesses. We collaborate internally and with our partners to provide the best possible insurance and surety options for our customers. It's about far more than being a workplace. We're a work family.
At IAT, our fundamental belief is to a create a culture where all employees are heard and have a sense of belonging. Inclusion and Diversity are not just initiatives, it's how we live. We're committed to driving and building an open and supportive culture. By embracing the uniqueness of our employees, investing in their development, listening to, and engaging their ideas, we are stronger as an organization.
Our employees propel IAT forward – driving innovation, stable partnerships and growth. That's why we continue to build an engaging workplace culture to attract and retain the best talent.
We offer comprehensive benefits like:
- 26 PTO Days (Entry Level) + 12 Company Holidays = 38 Paid Days Off
- Healthcare and Wellness Programs
- Opportunity to earn performance-based bonuses
- 7% 401(k) Company Match and additional Discretionary Retirement Contribution
- College Loan Assistance Support Plan
- Educational Assistance Program
- Mentorship Program
- Dress for Your Day Policy
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and participate in E-Verify.
Come join the IAT family!
COVID 19 Statement:
IAT actively tracks COVID vaccination rates, possible symptoms, and cases across the organization so we can make informed decisions about workplace safety. As a result, while IAT does not require employees to be vaccinated, employees are required to log their vaccination records and attest daily to being symptom free before entering IAT offices.