Actuary - Personal lines
Are you looking to have a significant impact on the financial results of a Fortune 100 company? As a member of the Actuarial Complex State Insights team within PL State Tactics, you will play a critical role in monitoring, evaluation, and strategic/tactic consultation for the PL books to accomplish profitable growth in our large complex states. You will be responsible for performing advanced actuarial analyses in pricing, underwriting, channel optimization, etc. to assess the profitability of programs/products and growth opportunities of our Personal Lines books in your assigned states; partnering with Economics SMEs to ensure Econ insight and deliverables account appropriately for unique state features, as well as collaborating with Directors of State Operations for these states to gain deeper knowledge of the complex states and develop effective customized state levers. This role will be part of a team of 3 actuaries and report to the Complex State Insights Actuarial Manager. This is an exciting opportunity where your work will greatly influence state-level decision-making and contribute to Liberty's goal of being a top 3 Global P&C Insurer.
- Review and share state specific insights and assumptions to create actuarially sound and customized indications for Auto and Homeowners, new and renewal books in the large complex states.
- Develop and utilize alternative actuarial techniques and methodologies to forecast profitability at the state level (includes state specific loss/premium trends, credibility adjustments, large loss and CAT normalization, etc.) to account for state unique features
- Develop a deep understanding of the assigned states in various aspects that contributed to the success of the whole state operations and underwriting economics, pursuing ad-hoc projects as needed to help support evaluation of state levers.
- Tracking and forecasting related macro-economic trends in assigned states, identifying the drivers of segment-level profit opportunities, and incorporating findings from competitor filings/earnings calls, regulatory and industrial publications.
- Collaborate with Actuarial, Finance, Claims and other teams in Econ to gain better understanding and assess and improve profitability by coverage/peril in the assigned states; leverage information from partners to evaluate by-coverage loss development & reserve opinions with state specific considerations
- Understanding our business competitiveness and pricing accuracy across various segments in the assigned states; highlight states/segments that are deviating from expectations.
- Communicates findings and emerging trends to stakeholders and makes action recommendations.
Please note this posting is open to multiple locations or remote. Compensation will vary based on experience, education and location.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum 5-7 years relevant experience required; Personal Lines Homeowner experience a plus.
- Associate in the Casualty Actuarial Society (ACAS) required, Fellowship (FCAS) preferred, or a comparable actuarial education/designation combined with relevant experience.
- Solid understanding of all casualty actuarial techniques, standards, and assumptions and basic knowledge of other business operations including financial, underwriting, compliance, claims, distribution, etc.
- Demonstrated ability communicate technical concepts to broad audiences.
- Ability to establish and build effective relationships within and outside the organization.
- Reporting system experience a plus.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.