Underwriting Officer, Excess Retail Casualty Non-Admitted
In your role as an Underwriting Officer, you'll be part of a countrywide underwriting team that develops non-admitted excess casualty solutions for complex risks that are sourced exclusively through the top 12 national retail brokers and that are focused in the following industries; Heavy Machinery & Equipment Manufacturing & Distribution, Agriculture Co-operatives, Building Materials Mfg & distributors, Colleges & Universities, Trucking & transportation risks, Heavy construction & civil engineering contractors, Maintenance contractors & service providers, Sporting goods mfg & distributors, Amusement Parks, Ski Resorts and other non-admitted / E&S classes of business. You'll market for and underwrite risks with sales exposures ranging from $50M up to $100B that require strong analytical skills to properly assess the risk as well as superior communication and negotiating skills to drive appetite, negotiate coverage terms and successfully close deals. Our Retail Non-Admitted Underwriters are responsible for developing, growing, and maintaining a profitable, diversified book of business through effective underwriting decision making, mutually beneficial broker and client relationships, application of underwriting tools and systems, and collaboration with expert resources within our Actuary, Claims, Legal and HO teams under limited supervision.
This role is being offered remote in the posted locations.
- Risk Selection: Reviews, rates, underwrites, evaluates, or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts, identifying, selecting and assessing risks, determining the premium, policy terms and conditions, obtaining approvals, creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker, and successfully negotiating deals.
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Demonstrates a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Key Agents and Brokers objectives. Establishes, develops, and maintains successful relationships with Key Agents and Brokers to facilitate marketing of products, through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or enhanced knowledge of their customers businesses. Develops strong personal brand to build and maintain a long-term quality pipeline with Key Agents/Brokers.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a sizable and complex book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share by making marketing calls to preferred brokers to market and cross market. Provides input to the development of marketing plans, product analysis, services, geographic focus and broker intelligence.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals that comply with state regulations, letter of authority, and underwriting guidelines.
- Leadership: Formally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters and account analysts in both technical and professional skills. Demonstrates multiple areas of expertise and provides regular updates to other underwriters.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by generating suggestions, participating in problem solving activities and using
- 8-10 years of commercial underwriting experience
- Excess and umbrella underwriting experience required
- Experience with complex casualty underwriting preferred
- Advanced-level knowledge of territory management.
- Excellent communication skills
- An aptitude for building rewarding relationships with Retail Brokers is required
- Prior experience working in Midwest region preferred
- Experience in mentoring peer underwriters, account analysts and junior underwriters
- Expert-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage
- Command of insurance finance and actuarial concepts
- Thorough knowledge of commercial insurance products, underwriting, risk selection, pricing and marketplaces, as well as regulatory issues in relevant territories
- Understanding of contract language for non-admitted business
- Familiarity with continuous improvement processes and tools
- A bachelor's degree in a related field
- Professional insurance designations (currently or in process)
A little about us
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.