Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$111,400.00 - $183,700.00
What Is the Opportunity?This position partners with leadership to support the profit and loss of a First Party Specialty Lines. Manages or coaches individuals who focus on analyzing competitor behaviors, marketplace dynamics, pricing segmentation, and line and segment level analysis. Partners with senior leaders to formulate and collaborate on product or LOB strategies in conjunction with regulatory, actuarial, underwriting and Claim. Identifies opportunities for profitability and articulates Product analytics strategy. This position has an understanding broader than their line of business and can recognize how certain trends would have an impact not only on their line, but lines of business within BI. Participate in line of business strategies at a countrywide level, while collaborating with markets to understand state level dynamics. Typically supports more complex lines and/or lines that span complex markets. This position is expected to collaborate with peers across Business Capabilities Office (BCO) Product to help ensure efficiency and effective communication of the analytics performed to their business partners. In partnership with the product line VP and AVP, assists in the development of the line of business financial strategies at a countrywide level. They also collaborate, partner, and influence markets to understand the line of business strategy, incorporating market and state level dynamics. This position leads in the development of less experienced employees and may manage others.
What Will You Do?
- Assess, prioritize, influence and communicate strategic initiative options to senior leaders
- Demonstrate effective execution and completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects
- Regularly generate process improvements and explore opportunities for innovation
- Lead assigned unit strategic initiatives (narrow scope, limited and well defined) and cross-unit initiatives on a limited basis and is expected to participate in Enterprise initiatives on a limited basis
- Perform line management analyses to solve business problems and apply judgment appropriately
- Drive day-to-day execution within unit. Support broad department initiatives
- Promote efficiency across primary working group, balancing additional effort against incremental lift gained from work
- Begin to make decisions independently in accordance with department practices
- Provide direction and review others' work
- Translate business requests into solutions
- Provide support, as necessary, for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence
- Communicates on a regular basis with staff, peers and business partners and on an occasional basis with senior leaders
- Tailors communication of analysis, project results, and other business initiatives to audience
- Communicates topics to both technical and non-technical audiences with limited guidance
- Leads group discussions with primary working group
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or presentations with limited guidance
- Able to influence and collaborate with peers and partners to take actions to enhance business outcomes
- Staff responsibilities are likely to include direct management of a small team of individual contributors
- Acquisition, retention and development of talent for assigned unit
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including performance and personal development goals
- Succession planning and talent assessment recommendations
- Performance management
- Support staff engagement cross Enterprise initiatives
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across Segment and the Enterprise
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelors degree in Business Management, Mathematics, Management Information, Finance, Actuarial Science, Economics or other related field
- Masters degree
- 5 years of experience in data analytics
- Advanced knowledge of Business Insurance lines, products and systems
- Advanced knowledge of Pricing, Actuarial techniques, and financial management
- Technical Knowledge/Critical Thinking:
- Able to extract and analyze data
- Team Orientation:
- Ability to interact with business partners, work with connections within the industry to gather competitive techniques
- Planning and Project Management:
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to work well in tight timeframes and deadlines
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Communication Skills:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong understanding of actuarial concepts such as loss development and trending
- Global level of understanding while coaching others on competitive analysis tools, and how to extract and analyze data
- Has command of profitability, risk loads and other ratemaking concepts
- Solid knowledge of Excel, Access, and Word
- Strong Leadership Skills, including ability to:
- Leverage differences
- Manage in participative manner
- Develop employees
- Manage change effectively
- Inspire others and promote a vision
- Understand and navigate organization
- Advanced ability to maximize individual and organizational performance
- Resource and capacity management skills
- Holds others accountable
- Preferred: CPCU, IIA, FCAS or other recognized insurance designations (examples: ARM, CIC)
What is a Must Have?
- 3 years of experience in data analytics
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility. #LI-Hybrid
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.