Senior Litigation Auditor
Conducts the review/audit of law firm invoices for Commercial Insurance, Personal Insurance and Global Specialty outside law firms for compliance with Liberty Mutual Guidelines and for reasonable and appropriate billing practices consistent with industry standards as established by the American Bar Association. Conducts on-site audits of large and complex law firms and issues detailed reports. Assist with training of Legal Audit and Billing Services.
- Ensures that law firm practices comply with Company Litigation Guidelines and Protocols. Develops and maintains extensive knowledge related to determining the likely legal necessity for specific insurance defense related law firm work. Assesses law firm invoices for work performed at appropriate timekeeper levels and compensable time charged relating to legal work billed, across all types of litigation. Reviews and reduces law firm billings accordingly.
- Coordinates and leads all aspects of on-site financial audits at law firm locations including coordination with the Regional staff's Quality Assessment team. Manages related logistics and communications to various markets, including detailed reports to management. Also participates on Quality on-site audits as well as Financial audits
- Collaborates with various claims departments for more effective litigated cost control. Utilize budgets, meetings, presentations and claim file and document review to obtain claim strategy information and apply during review process.
- Uses and enhances a variety of auditing tools for data analysis. References reports, models, tables and Excel workbooks at an advanced functionality level including, pivot tables, macros, filters etc., to effectively audit electronic law firm invoices for maximum productivity. Manages the application of these tools across a wide range of invoices and audit levels. Utilizes MS-Access and other systems to maintain databases and reports on performance and audit compliance results.
- Resolves appeals between the individual law firms and the Legal Audit and Billing Services.
- Performs complex consulting related assignments, which involve reviewing multi-million dollars billings as part of litigation settlements often to multiple standards. Provides detailed reports to Claims to support resolution of these settlements and participates in negotiatio ns as needed.
- Investigates law firm operational procedures, analyzes litigation cost benefits, and examines flat fee agreements to assure and maximize savings and efficiencies.
- Identifies improper or fraudulent billing practices, as well as quality litigation practices. Makes recommendations to initiate necessary changes and counsels management regarding control concerns for the largest law firms.
- Exercises independent judgment in accordance with policies and procedures. Makes recommendations to management for modifications or changes to policies to keep abreast of changes in process or technology. Trains Legal Audit and Billing Services staff as needed.
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in Accounting/Finance/Business) or equivalent experience required
- JD or Paralegal Certificate strongly preferred
- In addition, 4 plus years of relevant experience
- Insurance defense and/or claims management experience and/or legal bill review experience with proven litigation management and expense control experience)
- Requires strong analytical skills and the ability to work with minimal direction
- Strong communication skills, listening skills, and accuracy and attention to detail
- Advanced computer skills required to develop and prepare complex spreadsheets for settlement related documents, etc
- A strong working knowledge of court systems, procedural rules, and litigation practices/procedures for the 50 states and Federal system
- Must display strong legal billing comprehension
- A strong working understanding of insurance contracts, coverage, practices, and procedures is necessary
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.