Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$135,200.00 - $223,100.00
What Is the Opportunity?The use of artificial intelligence (AI) in property casualty insurance is exploding. Pictures are being used to assess damages. Virtual assistants are being used to talk to customers. Spoken words are being translated into text for use in sentiment analysis and prediction. Intelligent document processing is being used to capture, extract, and process data from a variety of document formats. Travelers is at the cutting edge of AI in insurance. We are looking for someone to be our agile product owner for a team focused on applying AI methodologies to insurance claims handling. We need someone who can be hands-on in building AI models while also possessing strong leadership and management skills to run an agile team focused on delivering business value. Come join a team that will be transforming the way we interact with and take care of our customers!
Support the strategy directing and managing projects, people or innovation streams. Review analyses and provide direction and insight. Work within broad limits and authority on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge in breadth and/or depth in artificial intelligence, statistics, and predictive modeling. Broad business knowledge. In-depth Line of Business knowledge. Broader awareness of enterprise Analytics & Research community. Will provide direction to a team of data scientists, data engineers, and technology professionals.
This role is the business partner of one or more Agile teams and is accountable for the strategic development of specific business technology solutions and implementation of them into the business environment. Manages business technology investments that are more complex in nature. Under limited direction ensures business objectives are met and value delivered through successful execution of the business technology investment(s). Identifies and provides the business technology view to Program Management. Works in partnership with other Agile team members to manage projects that are more complex in nature.
Primary Job Duties
Direct and/or perform a variety of artificial intelligence and advanced statistical analyses. Analyze/interpret data, draw business inferences and clearly articulate findings for target audience. May direct multiple complex research projects simultaneously as well as aspects of large and complex initiatives. Construct and present analyses and recommendations to target audience. May lead in-depth efforts in applying, validating and implementing predictive models. Develops new approaches to business problems. Proactively stay abreast of industry, developments, changing trends and jurisdictional issues. Direct industry analysis and benchmarking studies. Adjust strategy as appropriate to anticipate, respond to, and manage trends. Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners. Develop new approaches to business problems. Partner with peers across the company to ensure consistency and alignment where appropriate.
Accountable for defining and driving Claim Business Priorities program deliverables in alignment with business scope. Acts as content authority for the Agile team regarding 'what gets built' and prioritization of delivery. Product Owner relentlessly interacts with business and functional partners and other stakeholders that represent the program vision and business needs. Works collaboratively with the Business Owner, Product Management, all members of the Agile team, and as an active member of the Product Council. Based upon the portfolio vision, drives, observes and/or reviews business feedback, as well as core capability strategy and installation efforts. Provides guidance to the team to ensure what is being developed satisfies the agreed upon acceptance criteria and needs of the business. Ensures Agile Team's understanding of business objectives. Engages required business representatives/SME's. Determines how the business needs will be satisfied via design, build and test by the Execution Team. Escalates business issues and questions for decision making to appropriate stakeholders. Ensures overall delivery of business value and business adoption of solutions. Business lead for iteration and increment planning for the Agile team. Facilitates identification, oversees development and completion of features and user stories. Communicates progress of delivery to the Program Management and senior leadership teams. Develops stakeholder impact assessment for capabilities being delivered. Participates in readiness definition and planning. Incumbents are utilized as subject matter experts on varied business initiatives and work on assignments that have broader impact to delivery across multiple teams. Makes decisions requiring broad decision-making capabilities that integrate business goals/objectives aligned with complex projects/programs. Exercises broad judgment in planning and latitude in determining objectives of assignments. Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, Work Experience, and Knowledge
Relevant work experience in directing and performing research and/or artificial intelligence in the insurance industry preferred
Ability to gain broad understanding of overall roadmap and related strategies. Experience with large and complex projects. Proven ability to motivate a team through coaching and mentoring. Strong communication skills: verbal, written, listening to various levels across the organization. Extensive knowledge of assigned Products and related business requirements.
Knowledge of Agile practices, roles & responsibilities, and delivery a plus.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Masters in STEM related field or equivalent
- 5 or more years of related experience
- Subject matter expertise in modeling/ research/ analytics or actuarial required
- Subject matter expertise in value creation and business model concepts
- Subject matter expertise in multiple statistical software programs
- Ability to develop highly complex models, interpret model results and recommend adjustments
- Expertise in advanced statistics underlying data models
- Ability to apply emerging statistical procedures to complex work
- Subject matter expertise in 3-5 of the following: Regression, Classification, Machine Vision, Natural Language Processing, Deep Learning and Statistical modeling.
What is a Must Have?
- Master's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences, Actuarial Science or related analytical STEM field plus five years of experience or any suitable and equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Heavy concentration in mathematics, including statistics and programming, business intelligence/analytics, as well as data science tools and research using large data sets. Additional verification of specific coursework will be required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.