Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$117,500.00 - $193,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?You are fascinated and motivated by people and learning, and will bring that energy to lead the creation of new human-centered offerings as part of Personal Insurance Innovation's Venture Studio. We're on a mission to help people protect the things that matter most, and you will be responsible for discovering and developing options to advance that mission. You'll help us understand needs and opportunities with new segments of interest and create a vision for future growth. You will leverage your leadership experience by mentoring and coaching others to grow and advance Design Strategy by advocating for human-centered design practices, improving standards and processes, and building strong partnerships across ventures and organizations.
You will manage human centered design initiatives as the lead facilitator on internal venture teams and key contact for external partners. From scoping and planning to synthesis and storytelling, you will steer ventures at various stages: uncovering needs and insights, rapidly prototyping new concepts, identifying assumptions, and experimenting with real world offerings.
You value and seek out diverse perspectives from potential customers, teammates, and experts. You are a listener and synthesizer.
You are analytical and push beyond observations of what is happening to understand why. You are committed to understanding the problem deeply. You uncover insight by close observation, digging into data, making to learn, and considering not just what people say or do but what they may be thinking or feeling.
When faced with ambiguity you clarify hypotheses and inform direction through research and experimentation. You will design experiments and prototypes to develop a point of view, inform concepts, and assess commercial viability.
You will tell powerful stories that help inspire the next iteration of user centered innovations and craft communications that resonate with end users and internal stakeholders. You are insightful, creative, collaborative, and curious.
What Will You Do?
- Manages human centered design initiatives with internal and external partners. From scoping and planning to synthesis and storytelling, steers ventures at various stages of maturity: uncovering needs and insights, rapidly prototyping new concepts, identifying assumptions, and experimenting with real world offerings. Guides product teams in reframing their view of the status quo to unlock new potential with design thinking.
- Plans, conducts, and analyzes primary research with users, experts, and stakeholders. Conducts secondary and competitive research and analysis when appropriate.
- Navigates ambiguity and reduces risk through identifying hypotheses and assumptions, designing experiments, and analyzing results. Pushes beyond observations of what is happening to understand why and demonstrates a commitment to understand the problem deeply.
- Oversees delivery of artifacts that include innovation platforms, user insights, concept prototypes, and investment pitches within project timelines and budgets.
- Tells powerful stories that help inspire the next iteration of user centered innovations and crafts communications that resonate with end users and internal stakeholders.
- Helps to create a dynamic team environment by coaching and developing others, improving standards and processes, fostering empathy, collaboration, experimentation, agility, and vigorous inquiry, while maintaining high expectations and attention to detail.
- Helps to create and evolve design principals, and best practices that account for user needs and context, while reinforcing brand values.
- Performs other duties as needed to advance innovation efforts.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Experience in a related field, such as HCI, VCD, Service Design, Anthropology, etc.
- Ten years of related experience.
- Two years of leadership experience (formal management or other).
- Advanced knowledge of most areas, expert level knowledge and application of three or more, and the ability to teach others at a basic level:
- Design research
- Information architecture
- Interaction design
- Visual design
- Content design (strategy, writing, editing for interaction)
- Information design
- Service design
- Presentation and communication
- Collaboration and facilitation
- Design strategy
- Usability testing
- Data analysis
- Design systems
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- Eight years of related experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.