Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$141,100.00 - $232,800.00
What Is the Opportunity?In Business Insurance Actuarial and Analytics, we deliver tailored analytics and innovative data science solutions that influence decisions and enable superior results. We have an inclusive culture where everyone feels that they belong, can be authentic, are valued, respected, empowered and part of our success. We see strength in the uniqueness that each of us contributes to creating innovative solutions and improving business outcomes.
As a Lead Data Engineer for the Business Insurance Analytics and Research team. you will work with business partners to modernize our data ecosystem and develop practices to grow and transform our analytics landscape. Your ability to design, build and deploy data solutions that capture, explore, transform, and utilize data will support Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and business intelligence/insights. As a data and technology subject matter expert you will influence strategy, support delivery, and translate complex data into user-friendly terminology to educate end users on data products and the analytic environment.
What Will You Do?
- Incorporate assurance processes into data solutions.
- Guide team members as they build complex data solutions, correct problems, apply transformations, and recommend data cleansing/quality solutions.
- Design complex data solutions, including incorporating new data sources and ensuring designs are consistent across projects and aligned to data strategies.
- Define and build frameworks for data solutions that can be applied to multiple projects.
- Perform analysis of complex sources to determine value and utilize your subject matter expertise to recommend data to include in analytical processes.
- Incorporate core data management competencies including data governance, data security and data quality.
- Collaborate and build consensus with leadership and diverse groups of stakeholders in defining, estimating, prioritizing and planning of projects.
- Perform data and system analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of high complexity and correct as appropriate.
- Define standards and frameworks for testing on data movement and transformation code and data components.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM related field or equivalent
- Fifteen years of related experience including exposure to data modeling for research and advanced analytics use cases
- Expert knowledge of tools, techniques, and manipulation including cloud platforms, programming languages, and modern software engineering practices.
- Excellent delivery skills with the ability to examine and assess the effectiveness of software design strategies and methodologies, devise, apply, and share ways to ensure the quality of complex computer systems, incorporate awareness and understanding of work happening outside of the team, and develop widely used technical metrics that enable engineers to better understand and deliver their work.
- Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to improve company level capabilities within domain, consult on business priorities and optimize value by identifying business aligned solutions and thoughtfully and practically introduce concepts and technologies from the industry.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to create architecture that is particularly robust against single points of failure, both in terms of systems and people, and looks ahead 6-12 months to identify areas of need and turns this into action.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to describe technology concepts in ways the business can understand, document effectively, collaborate across disparate groups, and model and assist others in the practice of mindful communication, active listening, and messaging.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to engage with other leaders and networks to solve problems as well as work to improve the entire engineering organization by teaching others and sharing knowledge while creating opportunities for others to showcase and develop skills.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training with data tools, techniques, and manipulation.
- Seven years of data engineering or equivalent experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.