Commercial Lines Underwriter
4 days left
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Western National is seeking an experienced Commercial Lines Underwriter to join our Seattle office. This position is responsible for cultivating critical relationships with agency partners and effectively writing new and renewal business to achieve department growth & profit goals. The ideal candidate has at least 3 years of experience demonstrating their ability to successfully manage, evaluate and price business within an established level of authority.
This role is based in our Seattle office, and will be hybrid(3 days in the office-once fully trained).
- Maintain a commercial lines book of business with assigned agencies.
- Use established practices, processes, procedures and underwriting authority level to analyze the operations and exposures of different types of risks to write new and renewal business.
- Assess risk and exposure on existing business to identify opportunities to maximize assigned territory loss ratio and growth objectives.
- Identify and analyze medium complexity accounts and make sound underwriting decisions independently.
- Recommend solutions when outside of authority level.
- Travel to assigned agencies to promote commercial lines products, build agency partnerships and promote higher agency ranking position.
- Contacts other internal departments and team members.
- Builds and maintains strong agency relationships.
- 3+ years of Commercial Lines Underwriting experience.
- Strong background in renewal Underwriting.
- CPCU, AU or CIC certification preferred.
- Experience writing Workers Compensation policies is a plus.
- Strong understanding of industry practices, standards and underwriting concepts.
- Strong negotiation and relationship building skills.
- Analytical with ability to exercise sound business judgment.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor degree in Insurance or Finance or equivalent related experience.
Western National Insurance is a growing, A+ rated (A.M. Best) group of property-and-casualty insurance companies serving individuals, families, and businesses in 20 states across the Midwestern and Western U.S. including Alaska. Currently ranked as the 37th largest private company by revenue in Minnesota (Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal), Western National year-over-year has earned accolades as an employer of choice, including the Wellness by Design Platinum +Green award from Hennepin County for employers who actively support wellness in the workplace. Western was also named a 2021 Star Tribune Top 175 Workplace, and for thirteen consecutive years since 2009 is recognized as a Wards Top 50 performing property-and-casualty insurance company.
Western National is known as “The Relationship Company®,” and caring for our employees is a part of that relationship commitment. Western National offers competitive pay, advancement opportunities, a generous benefits package, a robust wellbeing program, and a healthy work/life balance (including three weeks of paid time off, nine paid holidays, and eight hours of paid volunteer time as a starting point for new employees). These attributes are just some of the reasons why nearly half of our employees choose to stay on the Western National team for ten years or more.
Our benefits package includes:
- Medical insurance – We offer affordable (thanks to a generous employer subsidy), above-average coverage and the choice of either a traditional Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) option OR a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) option, which includes an HSA contribution
- Western Wellbeing program – Including fitness studio, on-site massage, yoga classes, locker room with showers, sit/stand workstations, nutrition seminars, and more
- 100% company-paid tuition reimbursement for approved job-relevant coursework
- Discounts on automobile and homeowner's insurance
- Two weeks paid parental leave
- 401(k) company match
- Profit-sharing bonus
- Other standard employee benefits – including dental insurance, vision benefits, life insurance, disability insurance, and more
We could continue to list the things that we think make Western National a great place to work, but why not hear it instead from actual current and former employees? Here are some quotes that Western National employees have posted to the Glassdoor public review site:
- “Excellent company which prioritizes customer service and community service.”
- “I have felt welcomed here and I feel like the Senior Management cares.”
- “The company has a great culture in my opinion. I feel like my contributions are valued and that management cares about what we do and takes the time to acknowledge individual impact for the company. Management feels very accessible as well. My co-workers are all professional people and easy to get along with. Opportunities for advancement are real and rewarding. Continuing education is 100% paid for and encouraged. The pay is good. The benefits are mostly solid and fair.”
***Western National is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.***