Associate Underwriter I
American National is an established, stable, and successful multi-line insurance corporation that has provided financial strength and a sense of security to employees, customers and business partners since 1905. We've been recognized by Forbes as one of America's most trustworthy financial companies and best mid-sized employers. With focus on our organization's values and cultural richness: Financial Strength, Integrity, Respect, Service and Teamwork (FIRST) and Agility, Collaboration, and Engagement (ACE) we continue to pursue our vision to be a leading provider of financial products and services for current and future generations.
What's in it for you?
American National supports a comfortable, diverse, and inclusive work environment, following a casual dress code and focus on healthy work-life balance. We understand that comprehensive benefits are important which is why we offer a generous package that includes: medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, matching 401(k), paid time off, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, health-wellness initiatives, and a volunteer program where employees are provided PTO for giving their time to a charity of choice, and referral bonuses! We also offer a comprehensive wellness program that includes onsite fitness centers and classes or discounted gym memberships, free health screenings, free flu shots, and more.
Purpose of Job
Associate underwriters manage frontline communication and requests from the field force, building and maintaining professional relationships. This position is a strong communicator, who is comfortable in a fast-paced work environment, an effective multitasker, an efficient time manager, goal-oriented, and can perform both autonomously and as a team, while managing work assignments.Essential Functions
• Assumes the processing responsibility for assigned states, processes policy changes via the computer system, reviews policy information, performs the rating of vehicle drivers, and verifies appropriate coverages.
• Finalizes data entry and authorizes issuance of policies via the computer system.
• Maintains a working knowledge of the American National policy systems.
• Maintains an understanding of state guidelines, including available discounts, selection/rejection requirements, state-specific forms, and updates to underwriting guidelines and rating factors.
• Reviews the required documentation for policy changes, following up with underwriters and modifying policies when applicable.
• Reviews certain new business applications for accuracy, determines if policies meet eligibility guidelines, and accepts, rejects, and/or adjusts the coverage as necessary.
• Assumes responsibility for incoming inquiries via phone, email, and fax from agents and others; handles overflow phone inquiries via the phone system.
• Instructs agents on the company's guidelines and procedures, being an available resource to agents daily.
• Researches agent service problems/issues to its conclusion, which may include communication across departments.
• High school diploma.
• No experience required.
• Supervisory/management experience not applicable.
• The position is physically comfortable; essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting and temperature; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.
• A person in this position performs a variety of routine work within established policies and procedures, and receives detailed instructions on new projects and assignments.
• Associate degree preferred.
• Prior work experience in banking, administration, or customer service positions desired.
The preceding job posting was designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It is not intended to be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications.
American National's recruitment policies help us place individuals in a timely and efficient manner. Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted by our recruiting team. Candidates may check the status of their application(s) by logging into our Career Portal.
American National is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing a diverse and inclusive environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.