Associate Underwriter I (Remote Option)
American National is an established, stable, and successful multi-line insurance corporation that has provided financial strength and a sense of security to employees, customers and business partners since 1905. We've been recognized by Forbes as one of America's most trustworthy financial companies and best mid-sized employers. With focus on our organization's values and cultural richness: Financial Strength, Integrity, Respect, Service and Teamwork (FIRST) and Agility, Collaboration, and Engagement (ACE) we continue to pursue our vision to be a leading provider of financial products and services for current and future generations.
What's in it for you?
American National supports a comfortable, diverse, and inclusive work environment, following a casual dress code and focus on healthy work-life balance. We understand that comprehensive benefits are important which is why we offer a generous package that includes: medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, matching 401(k), paid time off, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, health-wellness initiatives, and a volunteer program where employees are provided PTO for giving their time to a charity of choice, and referral bonuses! We also offer a comprehensive wellness program that includes onsite fitness centers and classes or discounted gym memberships, free health screenings, free flu shots, and more.
American National is seeking an Associate Underwriter for our Glenmont, NY location. If you consider yourself to be detailed, analytical, and client-focused, American National would like to speak with you. Underwriting Support is seeking individuals who find satisfaction when working in a collaborative team-environment, and enjoy stimulating work that is crucial to the success of the organization. The ideal candidate should be efficient in time management, goal-oriented, and possess the ability to work both autonomously and as team as you manage your assignment.
- Assume processing responsibility for assigned states and agencies, process policy changes via the computer system, review policy information, perform rating of vehicle drivers, and verify appropriate coverages
- Finalize data entry and authorizing issuance of policies via the computer system
- Maintain a working knowledge of the American National policy systems
- Maintain understanding of state guidelines, including available discounts, selection / rejection requirements, state specific forms, and updates to underwriting guidelines and rating factors
- Review required documentation for policy changes, following up with underwriters and modify policies when applicable
- Review new business applications for accuracy, determine if policies meet eligibility guidelines and accept, reject, and /or adjust coverage as necessary
- Assume responsibility for incoming inquiries via phone, email, and fax from agents and others, handle overflow phone inquiries via phone system
- Instruct agents on company guidelines and procedures, be an available resource to agents daily
- Research agent service problems / issues to conclusion, this may include communication across divisions
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Associate's Degree preferred
- Prior work experience in banking, administration, or customer service positions preferred
- Must demonstrate aptitude to learn various systems
- Enjoy working as a team-player in a supportive work environment
- Detail oriented with strong analytical skills
- Familiarity within Microsoft Office systems
Salary for this position can range from $32,522 for candidates who are minimally qualified through $40,652 for more highly qualified candidates. Candidates outside of the range are encouraged to apply, and will be considered based on experience, skill, and education.
The preceding job posting was designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It is not intended to be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications.
American National's recruitment policies help us place individuals in a timely and efficient manner. Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted by our recruiting team. Candidates may check the status of their application(s) by logging into our Career Portal.
American National is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing a diverse and inclusive environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.