Underwriting Property Consultant, Shared & Layered
The Underwriting Consutlant will be responsible for new and renewal business for Liberty Mutual's large property department in the Northeast Region. This Shared & Layered Underwriter will evaluate all classes of property insurance with a concentration in wind storm, earthquake and other catastrophic coverage. All Risk property risk analysis and underwriting responsibility. Marketing to retail and wholesale property producers.
- Develops, grows, and maintains a profitable, diversified book of business through marketing, effective underwriting decision making, mutually beneficial agent/brokers relationships, strong market-facing leadership presence and application of underwriting tools, systems, and expert resources under limited supervision. Guides/mentors less experienced underwriters in their respective area of expertise, including regular employee coaching with feedback to the manager on progress of the employee. Participates in regular projects that further the goals of the company.
- Risk Selection: evaluates or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts; identifying, selecting and assessing risks; determining the premium, policy terms and conditions; obtaining approvals; creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker and successfully negotiating deals.
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Demonstrates a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Key Agents and Brokers objectives. Establishes, develops, and maintains successful relationships with Key Agents and Brokers to facilitate marketing of products, through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or enhanced knowledge of their customers businesses. Develops strong personal brand to build and maintain a long term quality pipeline with Key Agents/Brokers.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a sizable and complex book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share by making marketing calls to preferred brokers to market and cross market. Provides input to the development of marketing plans, product analysis, services, geographic focus and broker intelligence.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals that comply with state regulations, letter of authority, and underwriting guidelines.
- Leadership: Formally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters and account analysts in both technical and professional skills. Demonstrates multiple areas of expertise and provides regular updates to other underwriters.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and work principles, participating in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
- Bachelor's degree six to ten years of commercial lines underwriting experience preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation preferred
- Minimum 4 years of technical underwriting experience with emphasis in the shared / layered commercial property insurance environment;
- Preference will be given to expertise in catastrophe underwriting;
- Experience in the development and review of Net Loss Expectancies (NLE), aggregation and zonal limits on all classes of property business;
- Detailed knowledge of an experience with retail insurance brokers and property wholesalers in the Northeast region of the US;
- Experience in form reviews and manuscript language a plus
- Travel for marketing, client meetings and industry conferences required
- Ability to make decisions according to rules, regulations and procedures;
- Must be able to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrated strategic and marketing capabilities
A little about us
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.