Commercial Underwriter - (Remote/Home Based)
The world isnt standing still, and neither is Allstate. Were moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers evolving needs. Thats why now is an exciting time to join our team. Youll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
Youll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.Plus, Allstate is changing how, when, and where we work-to lead us boldly into our future. We're empowering our employees to create better ways of working through more intentional use of communication and collaboration practices, processes and tools.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from lifes uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years weve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatevers coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. Weve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We dont follow the trends. We set them.Job Summary
The Underwriting team is responsible for providing underwriting support and direction to the sales management team and their marketing forces for the purpose of improving growth and profit opportunities for new and in-force commercial lines of insurance within assigned territories. The team performs various responsibilities centered on quality, communication and policy evaluation all in support of developing and maintaining a profitable book of business within the territories.
The Underwriting Consultant provides underwriting support and direction to sales management and their marketing forces for the purpose of improving growth and profit opportunities for new and in-force commercial lines of insurance within assigned territories. The Consultant builds and maintains agency relationships for the common purpose of providing extraordinary customer relationships, while profitably growing a multi-line book of business. The Consultant performs in a technical leadership capacity, assisting underwriting management in research/development and training. Additionally, the role participates in quality reviews, problem solving, and other discussions, with appropriate input and solution-oriented goals.
Develop and Maintain a Profitable Book of Business
- Reviews, analyzes, and prepares quotes, new business, endorsements, and renewals, within referral guidelines for position
- Prepares recommendations on referral files outside of authority
- Tracks and analyzes performance and profitability trends within territory
Support Quality, Production, and Service Level Agreement Goals
- Work is within set parameters of quality and production standards, as applicable, and within agreed upon Service Level Agreements and state regulations
- Works with team to perform quality reviews, production trends, and adherence to Service Level Agreement goals; makes recommendations for improvements
- Effectively communicates additional information needs, analysis process within eligibility guidelines, and decisions, to sales producers and management
- Instructions are clear and within Best Practice adopted by organization
- Answers complex inquiries and complaints regarding interpretation of policy, procedures, rules, and regulations
- Assists team members to understand and apply basic policies, procedures, and theories
Assists in Formulation of Plans, Programs, Policies, and Procedures
- Works with team to review plans, programs, policies, and procedures to evaluate current results, identify opportunity areas, and contributes to the formation of actions plans
- Identifies unprofitable and problem risks/accounts and producers
- Confers with agents/customers/field management/underwriting management regarding underwriting concerns
- File documentation is clear and within Best Practice adopted by organization
- Prepares complex reports, proposals, and/or presentations
- 5 years underwriting experience
- College degree
General knowledge of:
- Company organization, structure, operations, objectives, and performance
- Insurance industry rules, regulations, and legal requirements
- Familiarity of assigned territory, including competitive position and marketplace
Advanced knowledge of:
- Computer programs such as Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Multi-line products
- Physical, financial, and motor vehicle records reports
- All rating plans
- Financial/business/hazard/premium analysis
- All underwriting/rating systems
Advanced Working Skill/Ability
- Strong written and oral communication, including presentations
- Assimilate information and make decisions
- Ability to make recommendations to guidelines, processes, and procedures to positively affect the top and bottom line of the organization
- Ability to implement recommendations, once approved, with minimal supervision
- Resolve conflicts and solve problems
- Use of tact/empathy/influence in dealing with agents, co-workers, etc.
- Ability to represent company vision and strategies to multiple audiences
- Regular, predictable attendance
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.For a full description of Allstates benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.