Regional Vice President - Global and Specialty Surety Claims
Liberty Mutual Surety is currently recruiting for the Regional Vice President - Global and Specialty Surety Claims, for our EMEA and Canada regions, which includes managing and developing the infrastructure, procedures and strategy as we continue to grow our surety business around the globe. In this role, you will manage and develop the infrastructure, procedures and strategy for the aligned regions, and will provide Claims leadership and management directing the strategic activities in order to manage portfolios of complex and highly complex claims consistent with the standards of Liberty Mutual Surety. You will partner with Surety Managers and Executives, Underwriters, and corporate and field legal business partners to establish and implement claims and policies & procedures for Liberty Mutual Surety's Global and Specialty Group.
- Provide overall strategic and operational management of Global and Specialty Surety Claims. Continue the development of repeatable process and templates so that international claims handling can be similarly deployed globally as Liberty Mutual Surety continues international growth.
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of current process and templates for Global and Specialty Surety Claims and determine where different strategies should be considered based on business growth due to acquisitions vs. organic growth.
- Continue to develop a general claims template as well as best practices and process to be used as a base line to be followed in each country which should include in-house and outside vendors, end-users, and take into consideration the laws governing surety claim handling including regulations, common law, statutes, etc. for each country. Industry, language, and local customs which may impact claim handling are also to be taken into account.
- Develop and maintain relationships within Liberty Mutual Surety and across Liberty Mutual on a global scale, including corporate departments, managers, executives, and key stakeholders to leverage knowledge and experience of others related to global models. Identify opportunities and champion areas of collaboration and to establish guidelines for communication regarding issues which impact claims (e.g., Human Resources, technology, business relationships, etc.).
- Establish reserves for both indemnity, expense and reviews reserves on a regular basis to ensure adequacy and accuracy.
- Coordinate reserving processes with other internal Liberty operations on matters in which exposure is shared.
- Provide input to Senior and Executive Management with respect to strategic business plans, including but not limited to product analysis, services, geographic focus, and broker intelligence. Reviews, evaluates and implements modifications for claims handling procedures.
- Take preemptive action in collaboration with underwriting on large, distressed accounts in an attempt to work out issues before they become substantial losses. Implement a work out' strategy on large, defaulted accounts in an effort to mitigate loss.
- Provide direction to claims staff and outside counsel with respect to coverage, investigation and ultimate settlement, including, but not limited to direct participation in mediation and arbitration and active participation in settlement discussions.
- Create sound strategies and execute on those strategies in the most complex surety claim cases to achieve superior loss results and claim recoveries.
- Hire, develop, and retain highly qualified claims professionals and staff for assigned region. Facilitate the development of the staff to ensure and maintain a high level of competence in dealing with complex claims and issues. Conduct mid-year and annual performance reviews and develop career planning and advancement of staff. May manage teams/individuals through other Liberty Mutual teams.
- Provides regular reports to the Surety Executive team regarding losses as requested or as prescribed by regulations within the Claims manual.
- Provide input and participate in new product development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of Law School and 10 years or greater surety claims experience or equivalent surety claims experience (usually greater than 12 years) in managing the most complex surety claims and training and supervising lesser experienced claims professionals.
- Exercises a high level of autonomy in training, managing, supervising and reviewing all Claims Region matters.
- Advanced knowledge of Surety and Surety claims handling concepts, practices, procedures and techniques, including, but not limited to coverage issues, product lines, marketing, computers and product competition within the marketplace.
- Advanced knowledge of Surety legal support, including knowledge of law and insurance regulations in various jurisdictions and countries, including surety law.
- Must be knowledgeable of private, state, federal, and international laws that are applicable to surety claims.
- Bilingual capabilities a plus but must be fluent in English.
- The ability to effectively interact with brokers and internal departments is also required.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills with the confidence and ability to have penetrating conversations with high level executives both internally and externally Strong negotiation, analytical and decision-making skills also required.
- Able to travel internationally.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.