Director, Product Research
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
The Global Retail Markets Product U.S. Solutions team is responsible for building exceptional products and experiences for our customers, agents, and partners across both personal and business lines. This role is with the Business Lines team which works to develop products and experience solutions for front-end technology such as quoting, binding, and servicing in eCLIQ, as well as leveraging design thinking principles to identify and build new and innovative product experiences. We leverage data and customer feedback to bring enhancements to market. We work side-by-side with our various partners in dedicated teams that drive project execution. You will help differentiate Liberty Mutual in the marketplace through the creation of industry leading products and experiences.
**This is a ranged posting, grades 16-18, based on skills and experience at manager discretion.**
In this role, you can expect to:
- Independently manage projects of varying complexity; serves as an embedded team member on larger or more complex projects.
- Work extensively with key stakeholders across BI teams to understand business needs, vet opportunities, and deliver analytically-based recommendations to drive action.
- Perform advanced analyses; analyze trends and develop tactical and strategic recommendations that drive product decisions and/or initiatives.
- Develop & delivering presentations to communicate technical ideas and analytical findings to non-technical peers and stakeholders, including BI executive leadership.
- Research, develop, and implement process improvements; consult on complex business issues and design considerations.
- Conduct in-depth research of products among competitors.
Ideal candidate will have:
- Advanced knowledge and ability to analyze competitive environment, coverage, legal, regulatory environment, insurance operations, and industry trends.
- Ability to identify themes and trends from large data sets.
- Ability to influence others and effectively manage projects and working groups.
- Ability to effectively communicate; both formally and informally (verbally, writing, presentations), plan and organize work, work effectively and collaborate with others.
- Ability to manipulate data in Excel and clearly present data in PowerPoint.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Manages moderate to high complexity projects, often including managing the work-streams of others.
- Creates new product concepts.
- Manages special projects.
- Occasionally sponsors projects with team members from multiple functional areas.
- Conducts competitive intelligence and understands market trends for a product line.
- May evaluate cost/benefit calculations of various options, sometimes evaluating complex pilots.
- Monitors and interprets developments.
- Performs the underlying analysis on projects important to the strategic business unit.
- Conducts extremely complex analysis, often independently.
- Queries data to conduct ad hoc analysis of metrics and answer advanced business questions.
- Builds transformative tools and queries that change how we look at the business.
- Provides recommendations on the appropriate tools and techniques to perform analysis.
- Proactively seeks out mentorship opportunities with less experienced analysts.
- Occasionally seeks out opportunities to guide or teach the broader team.
- Conducts behavioral interviews and case interviews.
- May manage technical aspects of vendor relationships.
- May make recommendations on strategic use of vendor products.
- Master's degree or equivalent in mathematics, economics, statistics, or other quantitative field. Masters, PhD, or equivalent helpful given quantitative work they are leading.
- Minimum of 7, typically 10 years or more relevant work experience.
- Expert skills in Excel, PowerPoint, and statistical software packages (e.g., SAS, Snowflake).
- Must have exceptional planning, analytical, decision-making, communication, and project management skills.
- Expert knowledge of data sources, tools, and the business (lines, systems, pricing plans), predictive modeling, and code (e.g., SQL).
- Significant understanding of competitors' strategies and relationship to our own.
- Industry knowledge developed from internal meetings, news alerts, project-specific work, and proactive research into competitor strategies.