Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryAre you a curious mind who wants to find insights that will impact the insurance industry? Are you a human centered design evangelist that wants to build the best-in-class research team? If so, this role will excite you.
A Research Director will create and deliver best-in-class experiences in Personal Insurance by leading a team that deeply understands our customers, agents, employees, and partners behaviors and needs. They will generate insights and turn them into actionable design and product decisions that impact our products, strategies, and solutions.
Working inside of and outside of projects, the Research Director is accountable for optimizing the experience across various mediums and channels by applying broad research toolkit (quant & qual) and partners with key design, product management, engineering, and business stakeholders. The size of projects within this job family ranges from small enhancements to new ecosystem experience, and large-scale research initiatives. The successful candidate must be an expert researcher who can generate and socialize insights directly with senior leaders in our business.
The Research Director is responsible for leading and growing a small but mighty research team. They persistently look for new research practices, customer and user trends, and marketing and brand insights to help their team deliver optimized experiences. They set standards for research and ensure best practices are being used appropriately. As part of a team of close-knit, collaborative group of 15 XD professionals, they play a strategic role in the success of the team and in expanding the impact of Experience Design in Personal Insurance. The role also requires a proven track record of building and managing high-performing teams. They attract, develop and retain extraordinary talent and instill a shared sense of purpose and belonging.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Contributes to strategy and business architecture in collaboration with other functional area leaders.
- Serves as the key point of accountability for UX efforts at the portfolio level, covering multiple programs and projects. Advocates for user-centered design approaches and priorities.
- Helps to recruit and grow a team of outstanding UX professionals by providing vision, coaching, and mentorship.
- Helps to create a dynamic team environment by fostering collaboration, experimentation, agility, and vigorous inquiry, while maintaining high expectations and attention to detail.
- Helps to create and evolve design systems and best practices that account for user needs and context, while reinforcing brand values and standards. May collaborate across the enterprise to establish and promote these standards.
- Ensures adherence to UX guidelines within a portfolio of programs and projects.
- Participates in the development of processes for UX resource engagement with project teams during ideation, prioritization, development, and quality assurance phases.
- Ensures research, visual design, information architecture, and interaction design roles are adequately resourced.
- Plans and may conduct user research, usability testing efforts, and competitive research and analysis. Reports research findings to stakeholders. Translates these findings into design solutions.
- Oversees delivery of, and typically creates, artifacts that include personas, journey maps, user workflows, information architecture, wireframes, and interactive prototypes, within project timelines and budgets.
- Typically manages vendor relationships for outsourced UX activities.
- Staff management functions include, but are not limited to, coaching, training, planning and performance management in a supportive, team oriented, collaborative manner.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, psychology, human factors, social sciences or related field or 7 years of User Experience work experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Typical incumbent experience level 10+ years.
- Previous experience managing a research team preferred.
- Experience advocating for research at an organizational level.
- Background with developing and implementing research standards and best practices.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Outstanding communication, organization, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity or basic understating of web-based technologies.
- Experience with wireframing / prototyping software.
- Expert in conducting end user research and interviews.
- Proven ability to instill usability as a core value within a large, matrixed organization's culture.
- Expert knowledge of digital design, flow and site organization with a wide degree of creativity and problem solving abilities.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.