Lead Software Engineer
The world isnt standing still, and neither is Allstate. Were moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers evolving needs. Thats why now is an exciting time to join our team. Youll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
Youll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.Plus, Allstate is changing how, when, and where we work-to lead us boldly into our future. We're empowering our employees to create better ways of working through more intentional use of communication and collaboration practices, processes and tools.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from lifes uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years weve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatevers coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. Weve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We dont follow the trends. We set them.Job Summary
The Software Engineer Expert architects and designs their digital products using modern tools, technologies, frameworks, and systems. They apply a systematic application of scientific and technological knowledge, methods, and experience to the design, implementation, testing, and documentation of software. They own and manage running their application in production, and ultimately becomes accountable for the success of their digital products through achieving KPIs. The Software Engineer Expert plans, directs, designs, and executes IT-related activities and programs that are of a complex and critical nature.Key Responsibilities
- Participate in product scoping, discovery and framing, and inceptions providing technical input and helps translate user features into system design
- Leads and participates in inceptions and iteration planning meetings, infusing backlogs with technical input working in close partnership with the product manager
- Leads and participates in daily site, cross-site, and product team standups
- Leads the effort of shaping the architecture and design of the product
- Leads collaboration and strategy alignment across product portfolios (cross-product) in partnership with product managers, other peers and key stakeholders
- Serves as an expert on multiple business domain and a distinguished advocate of multiple technology stacks and shares that knowledge across organizations
- Serves as the anchor of the team and practices technical leadership; helping guide the team in choosing the right technology, solving technical problems, and resolving any technical conflicts within the team
- Coaches the team and leads daily practices of using paired programming and test-driven development in writing software and building products
- Establishes continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment pipelines and practices
- Leads and participates in knowledge sharing and contributes to Enterprise Standards
- 12 or more years of related experience
- Masters or Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
- Hands on experience and accountability architecting, designing, implementing and delivering large scale distributed systems and/or applications for the cloud, including microservices architectures and 12-factor principles
- 12 Years or more experience developing software in different programming languages, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new languages, including but not limited to Java, Python, .Net, Groovy scripts
- Experience in Java Frameworks like Spring Boot.
- Experience in Design Patterns , Data Structure, Algorithms
- Experience and knowledge in developing REST APIs including tooling for documentation (swagger, REST-docs, openapi spec), versioning, service discovery/registration, testing and management; experience using API gateways a plus
- Experience in API First Development.
- Experience and knowledge in web and API security including authentication, authorization, OAuth, OWASP, OpenID, and SAML
- Experience in backend development design and implementation; database (relational, NoSQL, caching), messaging (Kafka, RabbitMQ) and big data development, implementation and optimization
- Knowledge and advanced experience using distributed version control systems (git), artifact management systems, build and packaging systems (maven, gradle, npm, artifactory, etc) and continuous integration tools (Jenkins, TravisCI, Concourse, Bamboo, GoCD).
- Experience in Code Coverage, Code Quality tools like SonarQube
- Experience with cloud deployment for example PCF , AWS Or Google Cloud
- Actual experience working in an eXtreme Programming (XP) or agile environment; experienced working ina paired programming/engineering model
- Experience in Test Driven Development; including knowledge and experience in testing frameworks like junit, mockito, jasmine, protractor, cucumber, and other like technologies
Salary range $96,500 -$150,000.Salary is commensurate with the experience.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.For a full description of Allstates benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.