Remote Principal Software Engineer
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
At Liberty Mutual, technology isn't just a part of our business, it's what drives us forward. Join our tech team and you'll get opportunities to work on complex problems using emerging technologies. Our culture of evolution and innovation leads to projects that can positively impact lives. And we want you to be involved in creating, implementing and updating our solutions. As part of our team, you'll be working at a Fortune 100 company that's one of the fastest growing in the insurance industry.
About the role:
As an Engineer, you will provide leadership in the development of applications for the LM.COM and SAFECO.COM brands. As a member of an Agile squad, you will deliver key technology solutions in direct alignment with business strategies. This work will involve the modernization of systems and movement to cloud technologies with a focus on strong engineering practices, innovation and leading the company in technical outcomes. You will be responsible for work in all stages of the development lifecycle, from reviewing business requirements, to design, to construction and test, to deployment. The industry changes quickly, so we are looking for you to respond to change, pick up new technologies and adapt to changing requirements. We also want you to take pride in your work and have strong design and development expertise. We value quality code delivery and expect you to demonstrate competence at writing, testing and debugging. You will also assist in maturing our agile development processes, enhancing technical quality and excellence, and progressing CI/CD transformation.
*Please note the job level will be based on experience.
What you'll be doing:
- Collaborating closely with a team of software engineers to deliver complex software solutions.
- Working in an agile environment with business stakeholders, product owner, solutions engineer and other software engineers to review and refine stories and execute on them using excellent engineering practices.
- Using your technical knowledge to analyze technical system problems and design and implement effective solutions.
- Hands-on development and problem resolution, writing clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews.
- Embracing and modeling engineering excellence and best practices.
- Contributing to the development and growth of the team.
- Being curious and innovating using new tools and techniques.
- Providing periodic production deployments and support.
- Dotcom application and API software development, design and prototyping.
- Partnering with UI/UX to build the interface with focus on usability features, creating compelling mobile device specific user interfaces and experiences.
- Optimizing performance for the applications & web.
- Understanding SEO and page ranking.
- Remaining up to date on the latest industry trends in the mobile and digital technologies.
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical discipline, preferably Computer Science, Math, or Software Development.
- Knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals (problem solving, object-oriented design, functional programming, etc.).
- Solid Knowledge of cloud technologies (AWS) & architecture patterns (serverless, microservice, API etc.,).
- Experience with Test frameworks like Jest, React testing library, Test Cafe as well as Behavior and/or Test-Driven Development.
- Experience with CI/CD tools and techniques, Bitbucket, Jenkins, Bamboo etc.,
- Solid programming discipline: unit testing, fault tolerance, complexity analysis, object-oriented programming, design patterns, etc.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; presentation skills.
- Proficient in negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills.
- Openness and adaptability to fast-moving circumstances
- Extensive knowledge of IT concepts, strategies, methodologies and technical standards, security, and privacy policies.
- Extensive knowledge of agile software development concepts and processes.
- Extensive understanding of backlog tracking, burndown metrics, and incremental delivery.
- Strong collaboration, team first mentality, prioritization, and adaptability skills required.