Principal User Researcher - Operations Specialist
A little about us
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
The Experience organization is on a mission to create extraordinary digital experiences that position our company to win big with our customers, agents, and prospects. We strive to provide the best digital quoting experience in the industry and make digital our primary channel for service and claims, delivering innovative experiences that exceed consumer and agent expectations.
About the Role
As a Principal User Researcher Operations Specialist on the Marketing & User Experience Research team, you will supervise all activities necessary to conduct research, in particular the recruitment, onboarding, management of contractors and the projects to which they are assigned. You will be the owner of Research Operations, refining our processes and proposing new ideas to enhance the value of UX research at scale. You will be responsible for standardizing research methods and supporting documentation, building mechanisms to recruit and manage research participants, educating research team partners and leadership on the value of user research. You will collaborate with other UX researchers to support their study goals and organize the planning and execution of research projects. In addition to user research teammates, you will partner with UX Product Designers, UX Content Strategists, business teams, and Information Technology to understand business objectives, technology capabilities, and ensuring design solutions meet customer needs. In this role you will also advise non-researchers to help facilitate their own projects.
The ideal candidate is a well-organized self-starter with exceptional attention to detail and strong project management skills.
This position can be based in Boston, MA or remote.
- Establishes and experiments with new processes, tools, and techniques to streamline the user experience research work
- Manages the pipeline of inbound research requests from various teams across the organization and assesses requests and to establish prioritization of new and ongoing projects.
- s for streamlined recruiting of research participants, including consumers, agents, customers, and employees.
- Collaborates with stakeholders and other researchers to understand their study objectives, clarify their participant requirements, decide sourcing methodology, and develop assessments to screen candidates, plan the logistics of recruitment support, and perform key tasks to execute that plan
- Works with researchers to establish standards and best practices and promotes compliance
- Develops and maintains team resources including inbound project request form, training materials, and playbooks
- Develops formalized training for non-researchers to expose them to user-centered approaches and activities so basic research studies can be run with researchers cannot scale to meet demand
- Sources and compares vendors and tools; interface with legal, security and procurement to onboard and pay vendors
- Works collaboratively, seeking constructive feedback and integrating feedback to improve research expertise
- Bachelor's degree in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Information Design, or a similar discipline with minimum of 5 years of related experience or Master's degree in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Information Design or similar discipline with 3 years of related experience.
- Experience laying the foundation for and scaling an in-house research operations practice
- Proven track record performing management responsibilities with empathy, authenticity, and inclusivity
- Operational mindset that drives efficiency across the team while maximizing their overall impact
- Expertise in a variety of qualitative research methods, including running usability studies and lean usability tests, conducting customer research interviews, and writing expert (heuristic) reviews
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with methodologies such as Design Thinking and Lean UX
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to present projects and status reports to cross-functional leadership
- Strong communication, organizational, analytical, critical thinking, and team building skills
- Strong stakeholder management and collaborative abilities
- Proven track record of collaborating effectively with cross-functional teams, well-organized self-starter with exceptional attention to detail, and strong project management skills
- Curious, confident, humble, and optimistic