Principal User Researcher
A little about us
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
The Experience organization is on a mission to create extraordinary digital experiences that position our company to win big with our customers, agents, and prospects. We strive to provide the best digital quoting experience in the industry and make digital our primary channel for service and claims, delivering innovative experiences that exceed consumer and agent expectations.
About the Role
As a Principal User Researcher on the Marketing & User Experience Research team, you will be responsible for scoping and executing custom research across all digital assets at Liberty Mutual Insurance. This includes our websites, mobile apps, and customer portals among many others. You will partner with UX Product Designers, UX Content Strategists, business teams, and Information Technology to understand business objectives, technology capabilities, and ensuring design solutions meet customer needs.
You'll lead exciting new projects to help both customers, prospects and agents to better understand personal insurance products in a consultative and engaging way. In this role you'll also mentor other researchers and advise non-researchers to help facilitate their own projects, participate in product demos on a regular basis, and in many cases have ownership of research activities for a variety of digital portfolios.
This position can be based in Boston, MA or remote.
- Plans and conducts user research activities (for example, usability testing, online surveys, and customer interviews) and translates findings into actionable customer insights that inform product development and optimization
- Leads objective setting and discovery processes, including persona development, journey-mapping, and interpreting goals
- Contributes to the product development process, including identifying customer needs, ideation, testing and continuously gathering customer feedback throughout the entire product development process
- Contributes to the development of functional strategy and future direction
- Recommends the right research method to employ for the hypothesis or business problem at hand in order to deliver relevant and actionable learnings (for example, usability testing, online surveys, interviews, contextual inquiry, focus groups)
- Contributes to the objective-setting and discovery process, including user persona development, journey-mapping and interpreting user goals
- Mentors researchers on new methodologies, presentation skills, and complex analysis
- Oversees the work of others not directly reporting to him/her through goal setting, prioritization, and review/feedback of work product
- Contributes to expert reviews and heuristic evaluations to identify opportunities within the user interface to improve usability and/or accessibility according to industry standards and best practices
- Communicates clear, concise, and objective research findings that focus on actionable insights
- Works collaboratively, seeking constructive feedback and integrating feedback to improve research expertise
- Bachelor's degree in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Information Design, or a related field with minimum of 5 years of related experience or Master's degree in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Information Design or related field with 3 years of related experience.
- Expertise in a variety of qualitative research methods, including running usability studies and lean usability tests, conducting customer research interviews, and writing expert (heuristic) reviews
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with quantitative research tools, such as Qualtrics and UserZoom and recording software such as Morae or GoToMeeting
- Familiarity with methodologies such as Design Thinking and Lean UX
- Advanced written and oral communication skills. Ability to present projects and status reports to cross-functional leadership
- Strong communication, organizational, analytical, critical thinking, and team building skills
- Proven track record of collaborating effectively with cross-functional teams.