Principal Software Engineer
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer or a Senior Software Engineer to join our established Beast Mode squad in GRM U.S. Business Lines Pricing. If selected, you will have the opportunity to leverage your skills with cloud-based technology to build innovative tools, solutions or products needed by our applications and our customers.
As a member of the BL Pricing team you will be responsible for coding rules, services and logic to support our various rating programs and models that control the premium we charge our customers in the Business Lines space. This logic is fundamental and core to every major initiative we will undertake including profitability, growth and speed to market.
In this role you will:
- Experience driving platform modernization initiatives, cloud deployment and technologies such as: AWS, Docker, Python, Java, Spring Boot
- Collaborate closely with a team of developers and solutions engineer to deliver complex software solutions, where application performance is critical
- Work in an agile environment with business stakeholders, product owners, and other software engineers to review and refine stories, and execute on them using excellent engineering practices
- Drive full cycle end to end development from design through implementation
- Be a champion for excellent engineering practices, including methodologies like TDD, pair programming etc.
- Establish, maintain and update consistent protocols and security access to sensitive data Work with Scrum Master, Product Owner and peers to iteratively create software that meets business and technical requirements
- Analyze defects, and design and implement effective solutions
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- Drive a culture of innovation and learning while modeling the Liberty Mutual core behaviors and values
- Facilitate cross team learnings, communication and alignment
- Mentor and coach team members to grow their skillsets and careers
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in a technical or business discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of professional experience.
- Experience working with agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, XP) and cross-functional teams (Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Developers, Test Engineers).
- Knowledge CI/CD process and tools, testing frameworks and practices, TDD
- Strong enterprise-level software development experience in API development using Java or Python
- Solid programming discipline: unit testing, fault tolerance, data structures, complexity analysis, object-oriented principles, design patterns, etc.
- Familiarity with AWS, Spring, DNA, Mongo/DocumentDB, Kafka, Lambda, S3, RESTful services, Event-driven architectures, OAuth2, Docker, Apigee, Kubernetes.