Underwriting Specialist, Sharing Economy
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
With ride-hailing, vehicle-sharing, car subscriptions, on-demand delivery, and autonomous vehicles, transportation options have never been so plentiful or presented so many emerging risks. Drawing on Liberty's vast commercial and personal lines expertise, our Sharing Economy and New Mobility Practice represents a new underwriting model that brings a full range of tailored solutions and nuanced pricing approaches to the marketplace. This dedicated practice combines creative commercial underwriting with product, actuarial, legal, and claims teams to deliver a robust insurance experience. Join our expanding underwriting team to foster change and innovation to the traditional insurance landscape and partner with brokers and sharing economy and new mobility businesses to help this segment grow and thrive.
As a Sharing Economy Underwriter, you will help develop and apply creative insights and sophisticated capabilities as we navigate the evolving blend of commercial and personal insurance exposures and products. Underwriting these risks requires curiosity and innovation to understand how businesses look today and what they will become tomorrow as the market develops. Being a sharing economy and new mobility underwriter requires strong analytical, communication, and negotiation skills to thrive in a dynamic and collaborative environment. Our Sharing Economy Underwriters are responsible for developing, growing, and maintaining a profitable, diversified book of business through effective underwriting decision making, mutually beneficial agent/broker relationships, and application of underwriting tools, systems, and expert resources under limited supervision.
- Risk Selection: Evaluates and assesses sharing economy companies by qualifying accounts; Identifies and assesses risks and exposures; Determines premium, policy terms and conditions; Obtains approvals; Creates and presents proposals to external business partners, and successfully negotiates deals
- Agent/Broker/Customer Relationships: Demonstrates a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Agents' and Brokers' objectives through successful negotiations; Develops and maintains the relationship through responsive service, site visits, in person meetings and enhanced knowledge of their customers' businesses
- Portfolio Management: Manages a sharing economy book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification; Executes marketing plans to increase market share
- Leadership & Innovation: Creates innovative insurance solutions for sharing economy and new mobility segments; Develops underwriting protocols, products and coverages to address emerging risks; Monitors and analyzes market trends and competitive landscape
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, participating in problem solving activities; Uses continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team
- Teamwork: Collaborates with the sharing economy cross-functional team members and other departments including product, claims, services, actuarial, risk control services, legal and domestic and international underwriting teams
- Advanced knowledge of P&C industry, underwriting concepts, practices, procedures and techniques, including but not limited to coverage issues, product lines, pricing, risk selection, actuarial concepts, reinsurance, DOI regulations and competitive landscape. In particular, knowledge of commercial fleet and HNOA auto underwriting and/or product management experience (or other related functions) preferred
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training plus 3 to 5 years of loss sensitive commercial underwriting preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation strongly preferred
- Ability to effectively interact with brokers and internal departments; proven collaboration and teamwork experiences; Strong relationship, negotiation, influencing and persuasive skills
- Strong verbal and written communications and organizational skills
- Strong negotiation, analytical and decision-making skills
- Self-starter who will search for opportunities and challenges and then address them accordingly