Senior Claims Officer, Surety Claims
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Has primary responsibility for the claims function for an entity - may include 1st & 3rd parties (or either depending on entity size.) Responsibilities include working with CCO to develop and implement guidelines and standards for ensuring the validity, determining the benefit and authorizing the payment of claims. Develops, communicates, and implements claim handling policy, objectives, programs, and procedures relating to claim productivity, loss and expense areas for a line of business. Reviews compliance with established claim handling policy and programs. Maintains effective communications and relationships with key clients, brokers, government officials, industry leaders and senior management.
Liberty Mutual Surety, a business unit of Liberty Mutual Insurance, is the #1 Surety in the United States and the largest globally. Conducting business worldwide through fronting relationships and Liberty-owned subsidiaries, we provide bonds in over 60 countries for construction firms, manufacturers and suppliers, and commercial enterprises on an account and transactional basis. We are committed to building mutually profitable relationships by providing smart business solutions, ease of doing business, and consistent, responsive service. Liberty Mutual Surety is dedicated to the communities we serve and highly values a diverse workforce in more than 16 countries.
- Responsible for providing overall claims management excellence through the management, development and achievement of strategic objectives of a specialty line of business.
- Directs the development of the implementation strategy and operational objectives for a line of business to meet customer needs.
- Develop and communicate claims and processing strategies, standards and protocols for a line of business.
- Leads, directs and has full management accountability for staff with emphasis on building organizational capability, talent management and succession planning.
- Establishes adequate reserves for both indemnity and expense and reviews reserves on a regular basis to ensure adequacy.
- Provides Claims marketing services by meeting with Brokers, Risk Managers and Reinsurers to both implement and maintain claim management programs.
- Has highest claims settling authority in the entity and handles the most technical, highly complex claims. Provides direction to external lawyers with respect to coverage, investigation and ultimate settlement, including, but not limited to direct participation in mediation and arbitration and active participation in settlement discussions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors' degree or equivalent training; advanced degrees or certifications preferred. A minimum of 15 years of relevant and progressively more responsible work experience required, including at least 10 years of management experience.
- At least 10 years claims handling within a technical specialty. Requires advanced knowledge of claims handling concepts, practices, procedures and techniques, including, but not limited to coverage issues, product lines, marketing, computers and product competition within the marketplace.
- Requires advanced knowledge of a technical specialty.
- Knowledge of law and insurance regulations in various jurisdictions.
- The ability to effectively interact with brokers and internal departments is also required. Strong verbal and written communications and organizational skills.
- Strong negotiation, analytical and decision making skills also required.