Underwriting Consultant, Inland Marine
A little about us
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
For an assigned territory, this position will be responsible for underwriting large and complex construction property and inland marine new and renewal accounts including analyzing exposures, hazards, requested coverage(s) and loss history to develop a comprehensive program structure with appropriate terms and conditions. In addition, you will produce and manage your own profitable book of business through development of relationships with brokers and customers. You will continue to hone your skills and knowledge within the inland marine segment and share your expertise with other underwriters on your team.
- Responsible for underwriting contractor's property, contractor's equipment, project builders risk, master builders risk and some transportation risks within the determined appetite.
- Independently works with assigned distribution channel to appropriately select risks, evaluate and recommend program structure, services and pricing to achieve a balanced portfolio and long-term profitability.
- Establishes and maintain business relationships to develop new opportunities as well as visits insured and brokers/ producers in order to retain existing accounts in support of the producer and territory management plan.
- Independently reviews engineering information to assess risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
- Evaluates reinsurance requirements and implements appropriate action.
- Communicates and collaborates across disciplines to establish and maintain relationships to achieve organizational and policyholder success.
- Leads the development and coaching of less experienced underwriters, shares knowledge of industry specific specialty with underwriters of all levels and is seen as a technical underwriting resource.
- Actively continues to improve personal knowledge and practices of the insurance industry through work experience, in-house instruction, insurance specific designations (e.g. CPCU), industry courses, home office seminars and workshops, etc.
Expert-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage, underwriting, pricing, risk selection, market segments and marketplace; insurance finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance; advanced-level knowledge of territory management. Ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, solve complex problems, establish and build healthy working relationships exceeds in mentoring relationships, and negotiate as normally acquired and a related bachelor's degree, eight to ten years of relevant experience preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation strongly preferred.