Data Engineer/Senior Data Engineer
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Senior Data Engineer / Data Engineer
At Liberty Mutual, technology isn't just a part of our business, it's what drives us forward. We deliver our customers peace of mind every day by helping them protect what they value most. Our passion for placing the customer at the center of everything we do is driving a transformational shift at Liberty Mutual. Operating as an agile team within a Fortune 100 company, we are on the front edge of an IT transformation of how people work and deliver solutions.
Global Retail Markets (GRM) Data and Analytics Engineering is actively searching for a highly productive member of a distributed, dynamic agile team to serve as a technical expert in analysis, design, coding, and testing innovative data reporting solutions. This position will support Products, Pricing and Underwriting within Business Data Solutions Engineering.
**This is a range posting; the hiring manager is open to hiring at the Senior Data Engineer or Data Engineer level.
As a Senior Data Engineer / Data Engineer, you will work collaboratively on a geographically distributed agile team to develop and enhance complex systems from user stories and technical/architectural specifications. You will analyze complex technical system problems and create innovative solutions that exceed customer expectations.
This is a fast-paced environment providing rapid delivery of premium and loss data pertinent for regulatory and external reporting. In this role you will work on a highly collaborative team that values speed and quality, with a strong desire to drive change and foster a positive work environment. You will have the opportunity to help lead this change with us as we grow this culture, mindset, and capability.
In this role you will:
- Work in a dynamic and exciting agile environment with Scrum Masters, Product Owners, and team members to develop creative data-driven solutions using AWS, Snowflake, SnapLogic, SQL, as well as other modern data technologies
- Handle end-to-end development, including designing, coding, testing, and debugging during each sprint cycle
- Demonstrate an open minded and collaborative approach to creating technical solutions
- Analyze data and technical problems to design and implement effective, flexible solutions
- Develop automated tests for multiple scopes (Unit, System, Integration, Regression)
- Mentor new and junior engineers
- Identify and recommend appropriate continuous improvement opportunities
- Bachelor's or master's degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience, technical degree preferred
- Generally, 3 - 5 years of professional experience
- Experience developing back end, database/warehouse technology solutions
- Knowledge of a variety of data platforms/tools such as Snowflake, SnapLogic, Cloud based databases
- Experience with Unix, SQL, and AWS (S3, Athena, etc.)
- Experience with mainframe, Cobol, JCL
- Extensive knowledge of IT concepts, strategies, methodologies
- Experience working with agile methodologies and cross-functional teams (Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Developers, Test Engineers)
- Demonstrates leadership and active pursuit of optimizing CI/CD process and tools, testing frameworks and practices
- Must be proactive, demonstrate initiative, and be a logical thinker
- Must be team oriented with strong collaboration, prioritization, and adaptability skills required
- Excited by trying new technology and learning new tools
- Understanding of Cloud / Hybrid data architecture concepts
- Understanding of insurance industry products