Director, Data Science Demand Modeling
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
The global Demand Modeling team has an exciting opportunity for a Director II, Data Science position that will use data science to drive deep understanding of consumer behavior and insurance economics with the goal of improving our pricing and product design in all 15 countries we operate in. This role requires creative problem solving and the application of data science techniques to challenging problems, particularly focused on isolating causal relationships in data. This Individual Contributor role will report directly to the VP of Demand Modeling and will provide consultation and modeling guidance for a team of 20 actuaries and data scientists.
- Advance the science of Demand Modeling through the research and application of new techniques.
- Build complex models that isolate causality when data includes both random and pseudo-random treatment effects.
- Study the economic impact of various product designs and features to enable better decision making. Use insights to create recommendations for improving product design.
- Take a proactive role in upholding exceptional model quality by performing model reviews and providing guidance.
- Act as a technical leader for the team, including supporting the development of other team members.
- Bachelor's degree required. Advanced degree or certification in quantitative field highly desired.
- Strong data science and analytical skills, with solid understanding of insurance pricing principles preferred. Expert skills in Excel, PowerPoint, and statistical software required (e.g., Python).
- Knowledge of insurance principles, underwriting and ratemaking concepts and the procedures of Underwriting, Distribution, Claims, Information Technology, Legal, and Finance departments
- High-level knowledge of data sources, tools, and the business (lines, systems, pricing plans)
- Demonstrated ability to exchange ideas and convey complex information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and build effective relationships within and outside the organization.
- Ability to give effective training and presentations to senior management and other groups.
- Ability to lead complex projects with minimal oversight.
- Ability to coach and develop team members.