Principal Software Engineer
We deliver our customers peace of mind every day by helping them protect what they value most. Our passion for placing the customer at the center of everything we do is driving a transformational shift at Liberty Mutual. Operating as a tech startup within a Fortune 100 company, we are leading a digital disruption that will redefine how people experience insurance.
Under limited supervision, analyzes, develops and/or significantly modifies software, applications, and programs from general requirements and specifications. Develops, codes/modifies, tests, debugs, maintains, and enhances existing programs. Seen as a technical expert within the team, this role analyzes complex technical problems and provides solutions.
This role is a member of an agile team that is responsible for core services capabilities that enable IT teams across Liberty Mutual to create and manage their applications through a platform that supports the continuous integration and delivery of code by over 5000 engineers across Liberty Mutual. In this key role the team member will develop and maintain solutions that will advance the capabilities for all software development teams. In this role you may mentor junior team members and
About the job:
- Develops component designs. Develops and/or modifies effective, defect free source code that meets business requirements and team engineering standards.
- Participates in unit test case development and advocates Test Driven Development.
- Executes all levels of testing (System, Integration, Regression, Performance).
- Works from specifications to develop or modify highly complex databases and API exposed services.
- Identify and recommend appropriate continuous improvement opportunities.
- Monitors and tunes operations of application components for optimal performance.
- Contributes technical alternatives as options evolve over time.
- Bachelors or Master`s degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5+ years of professional experience.
- Highly proficient in software engineering languages and tools; ability to develop on multiple platforms.
- Strong negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; presentation skills
- Extensive knowledge of the following: IT concepts, strategies, methodologies.
- Versed in diverse technologies and new technical architecture principles and concepts. Extensive knowledge in layered systems architectures solutions and designs and shared software concepts.
- Business function(s) and I/T industry business issues; extensive knowledge of business operations, strategies, and objectives.
- Strong in multiple programming languages and tools, specifically Java, Springboot, Dynamo DB, RESTful API's, New Relic, Splunk, Bamboo, Jenkins, Jira. Experience with microservices, Python, AWS, Apigee, event architectures a plus.
- Extensive understanding of agile software development concepts and processes. Must be proactive, demonstrate initiative and be a logical thinker.
- Extensive consultative skills, including the ability to understand and apply customer requirements, including drawing out unforeseen implications and making recommendations for design, the ability to define design reasoning, understanding potential impacts of design requirements.
- Extensive understanding of backlog tracking, burndown metrics, and incremental delivery.
- Strong collaboration, prioritization, and adaptability skills required.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.