Head of Data Science at Solaria Labs
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Who we are:
Solaria Labs is a global team that explores how trends will shape the future and develops new products to protect our customers in a rapidly changing world. We combine the mindset of a startup with Liberty Mutual's core capabilities and expertise. In partnership with teams across the company, we develop new products that solve unmet customer needs and expand the company's product offerings. We've already launched a few products and one company since we started see https://www.dwellbeingapp.com/ and https://www.getcertainly.com/. Please check out https://www.solarialabs.com/ for more details!
Location: Boston area preferred however, may consider a well qualified candidate in a remote based capacity.
Why you may enjoy working at Solaria:
One of the Solaria Labs focus areas is Machine Learning (ML), which has great potential to create more value for our customers and strengthen our competitive advantage. As Head of Data Science, you will lead the team that applies ML to create disruptive new products for GRM. This will require you to build a deep understanding of the GRM business, create strong partnerships with other teams, understand how ML can be applied to differentiate our products, develop proofs of concept with your team, and guide the organization to prioritize ML features. Successful candidates will ideally have a deep understanding of ML techniques and the ability to translate those techniques into business impact. Examples include identifying property features from Aerial Imagery using computer vision, classifying businesses from documents using natural language processing, and optimizing the performance of our digital insurance platform getcertainly.com. Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage and mentor a multi-disciplinary team of ten or more data scientists, including managers, along with interns, co-ops, and other staff on temporary assignment
- Partner with teams across Liberty Mutual to identify opportunities to differentiate our products or improve our operations
- Lead the team to design and deploy ML models using computer vision and natural language processing
- Work with product and engineering teams to implement your solutions within internal and customer facing software products
- Ensure the highest standard of technical excellence for all data science efforts in the lab, adopting best practices from other organizations and vetting new technologies or frameworks as appropriate
- Translate and champion ML capabilities for non-technical audiences, both partners and senior executives, to help the organization prioritize
- As part of the Solaria Labs leadership team, help define and execute the Labs strategy to drive new product development and an innovation culture in GRM
- Coordinate GRM's data science IP strategy, determining what the organization should focus on to protect our business. This also includes educating data scientists on the importance of IP and helping them choose whether to patent or publish their work
- Contribute to the data science professional community at Liberty, helping to guide programs and processes that improve technical excellence, engagement, and DEI
You're good at and offer:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, mathematics, or related field plus a minimum of 10 years of proven progressive experience. Masters or Ph.D. level degree is preferred
- Leadership experience within a corporate, academic, or startup innovation environment is beneficial
- Extensive experience analyzing data and a broad understanding of core statistical and ML techniques
- Expertise with Python and a proven track record of rapid prototyping using open source frameworks
- Computer science background, comfortable working with both technical and non-technical staff to translate concepts and algorithms into working prototypes
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with significant uncertainty
- Possess strong analytical, strategic, project management, decision-making and problem-solving skills.