Senior Software Engineer - Data & Analytics Engineering
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best
Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis
prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Senior Software/Data Engineer Customer and Party API, Global Retail Markets (GRM) US Technology
If you're a curious learner who wants to develop customer-centric solutions from idea to production within a small, empowered, agile team, join our tech team. As an Senior Software/Data Engineer you will be aligned to an Agile squad building out our future state customer/party APIs with a primary focus of partnering with team(s) to execute on the customer vision, executing modernization efforts of our legacy APIs, influencing the project roadmap, and helping develop and grow our team. We are seeking a candidate with extensive experience designing and building data-driven business-critical applications in Java.
The work we do is at the foundation of our customer strategy. There is an exciting mix of legacy services, cloud-native APIs in production and active development, and many areas ripe for creative problem solving. The customer domain is a key component of the Liberty Mutual strategy to provide our customers with broad, useful and competitively-priced insurance products and services to meet their ever-changing needs. As we continue to make modernization a priority in this space, you would also be involved with other technical leaders in conversations and planning around the future of customer and party efforts.
As the Customer/Party API Senior Software/Data Engineer, you will partner with the aligned Product Owner(s) to understand the vision for the area, services, and capabilities developed and owned by the aligned squad. You will develop a deep understanding of the business needs and goals of a variety of internal and external customers. Orchestrating business priorities with organizational and team technical goals into short- and long-term plans makes for a constant flow of interesting, empowering work.
In this role, you would:
- Work within legacy and modern architectures, frameworks, and tools.
- Contribute to customer/party technical vision along with peers and architects.
- Partner with the Product Owner(s) to develop and continually refine a roadmap that drives technology modernization alongside business priorities.
- Partner with teammates in the development of the customer ecosystem and technical standards based on business plan and vision.
- Propose and implement improvements to increase process efficiency and effectiveness, providing input to solution designs to ensure consistency, security, maintainability and flexibility.
- Continually enhance full delivery pipeline through automation, expanded yet increasingly efficient test coverage, ultimately optimizing time-to-market and quality
- Support aligned team with challenging or critical production support work as required.
- Deliver artifacts, technical documents and designs that meet business requirements.
- Participate in and/or lead design and code reviews.
- Contribute to decisions that impact profitability and operational effectiveness.
This role might be for you if you have:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience, technical degree preferred.
- Java - Extensive experience designing and building data-driven business-critical applications
- Generally, 4-6 years of professional experience in software or data engineering with 2+ years of API development experience
- Extensive knowledge of IT concepts, strategies, methodologies.
- Experience working with agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, XP) and cross-functional teams (Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Developers, Test Engineers)
- Versed in diverse technologies and new technical architecture principles and concepts including extensive knowledge in layered systems architectures solutions and designs and shared software concepts.
- Strong unit testing and debugging abilities and/or experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Strong Structured Query Language SQL syntax knowledge. Familiar with a wide variety of RDBMS installations
- Experience implementing Web services
- Strong knowledge of OpenAPI Specification (formerly known as Swagger Specification)
- Strong understanding and experience working with application running on Cloud Foundry
- Strong understanding and experiencing using Git Repository and Bamboo or other pipeline system
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical abilities. Experience troubleshooting high profile enterprise applications
Nice to Have (Not Required):
- Experience using IBM WebSphere Application Server (WAS) and/or WAS LP
- Experience using IBM Business Process Management Platform (BPM)
- Experience designing and implementing enterprise applications leveraging NoSQL databases
- Unix scripting
- Experience implementing applications within AWS ecosystem
- Knowledge and experience with Master Data Management development a plus
- Familiarity with other languages or frameworks such as Python, Node.js, Golang